80e performance questions

Well I've had the radix on for 3k miles now and I have the feeling I need to do something soon or I'm going to be hoofing it. The question I have is how much of a performance loss can be expected when going to the 80e. I think I can do a conversion for close to the cost of a built 65e and maybe never have to worry about it again. any help would be appreciated.

beau

Personally due to the cost increase with the 80E meaning converter and parts to build one stout.. and then getting it installed swapping driveshafts programming headahces.. Honestly I would save my pennies and throw them into a built 65E. Lets not forget the increased weight.

I am going to be throwing some serious testing at my Zippybuilt 65E this spring with the procharger with about 8 psi or so. Right now it was a fantastic upgrade from the stock 65E I have had decent luck with mine stock though I was running mid to high 13's with a stock trans and converter for quite a while before I noticed anything getting goofy..

Thats just my .02

from what I've seen at speed engineering the parts to swap it would come in around say 600 or 700 if that much. I have'nt checked on converters yet though. I found an 80e for about 950. With nothing more than a shift kit I would think I would have no problems at my power level. 470hp/490tq. but I'm still undecided so I guess I'll baby this thing till I make up my mind.

an 80e with a good shift kit should hold 900hp easy!

I agree. I have a bone stock 80e that had about 28k when I put it in the truck. It has held up to the turbo just fine. I've put about 35k on it and have about 100 passes at the track. You could add another 200rwhp and the 80e will hold it. Buying a used tq converter and tranny, I have about 1400.00 in the swap. A swap for an SS will cost more seeing as you are awd.

Edited by Quicksilverado (see edit history)

What is the big deal with guys thinking an 80e has to be upgraded to hold serious power? They are essentially a TH-400 , convertors are no more exspensive then a vigi/ yank/ for a 4l60-65 . Iam sure the computer issues could be handled by a good tuner.. I know in the fbodies 4l80e's are becoming more common. Wonder if you could use an fbody manual ecm, and then make it vaccum modulated?

Going to the 80E you will be adding about 5-10% parasitic loss depending on your final gearing ... The 80E has almost a 100# torque converter and has a shallower first gear ... This equates to quite a bit more "rotational mass" in the driveline which is the worst mass to have ... The loss is not as apparent at higher RPM's as the extra rotational mass actually helps because the driveline has momentum built up, but it will be noticeable on bottom end ...

It has a bit more static mass compared to a 65e as well ... Many people feel the 80e is the best to go with, then find later it is a torque sapper ... So weigh your needs and do your homework ... a 65e or 70e can be made pretty strong, it all comes down to input torque, standing starts, and how you abuse it ... A big reason why "some" TQM be added back into your tune ... Not all TQM hurts acceleration ...

my .02

11H

For sake of mention also, I saw the comment that an 80E mildly built can handle 900HP ... I am not an engineer at TH or a tranny builder, but I have an 18 year tranny veteran builder that works on these as a daily job ... He tells me,

You could take a 454 and put it behind a decent built 700R4 (4L60E) and with the right TQM, treatment and driver knowledge of what to do and not to do, and with good up-keep and adjustments, it can live as long as the driver would ever expect it to ...

You can then take the same tranny, put it behind a mild 350, and a spunky youngster can trash it in a weekend ... SO

You wish for a "tranny you don't have to worry about" is non-existent ... IMO ... I have seen some 60E's go through hell and run a long time IF IT WAS BUILT AND ADJUSTED AND MAINTAINED BY A REPUTABLE BUILDER WHO KNOWS POWER AND TIMING AND HOW TO TIME AND UPGRADE A 60 OR 65E ... THE KEY IS NOT GO BIGGER SO MUCH AS TREAT IT RIGHT, AND HAVE IT BUILT BY ONE OF THE FEW THAT KNOW WHAT THEY ARE DOING... I used to be in a car club of F bodies and not one tranny held up longer than 30K after a rebuild, all because the builder didn't set up the rebuild right ...

Mine was setup right and it is still going in the F body I sold years ago ... I would say 1 in 4 builders know enough to build a performance GM trans ... If they can't discuss TQM in detail with you, they have no business building electronic trannies ... :driving:

FWIW ... hope this helps ...

For sake of mention also, I saw the comment that an 80E mildly built can handle 900HP ... I am not an engineer at TH or a tranny builder, but I have an 18 year tranny veteran builder that works on these as a daily job ... He tells me,

You could take a 454 and put it behind a decent built 700R4 (4L60E) and with the right TQM, treatment and driver knowledge of what to do and not to do, and with good up-keep and adjustments, it can live as long as the driver would ever expect it to ...

You can then take the same tranny, put it behind a mild 350, and a spunky youngster can trash it in a weekend ... SO

You wish for a "tranny you don't have to worry about" is non-existent ... IMO ... I have seen some 60E's go through hell and run a long time IF IT WAS BUILT AND ADJUSTED AND MAINTAINED BY A REPUTABLE BUILDER WHO KNOWS POWER AND TIMING AND HOW TO TIME AND UPGRADE A 60 OR 65E ... THE KEY IS NOT GO BIGGER SO MUCH AS TREAT IT RIGHT, AND HAVE IT BUILT BY ONE OF THE FEW THAT KNOW WHAT THEY ARE DOING... I used to be in a car club of F bodies and not one tranny held up longer than 30K after a rebuild, all because the builder didn't set up the rebuild right ...

Mine was setup right and it is still going in the F body I sold years ago ... I would say 1 in 4 builders know enough to build a performance GM trans ... If they can't discuss TQM in detail with you, they have no business building electronic trannies ...  :driving:

FWIW ... hope this helps ...

Depends on the power level also. A 60e is usually good to about 600-650 rwhp in an f-body if properly built. Put the same tranny in a 5000 lb truck with 500 rwhp and it will not last nearly as long as it would in the f-body.

Edited by Quicksilverado (see edit history)