Need help..Headers problem I guess

SSThunder

Ok, after installing my dynatech headers I noticed the truck seem to sound like it's missing a little at WOT on the top end. I thought it might have to do with heat on the spark plugs(2 on the drivers side), but I've zip tied those and also boot boots over them for protection from heat and it still happens. I did notice that once my ss got back from the tranny upgrades(TBTC, shift kit & servos) it did it less and that' probably because they tightend the collector bolts better than I did. Is this my problem? Do I need to tighten the collector bolts even more or could this be caused by something else. I bought the headers used(5,000 miles). Any hedlp would be great. I want to have the problem fixed before the radix get's here :devil:

The plug wires are the obvious choice. People have had problems with early design Dynatechs and the up and over design of the drivers' side header. The number 5 and 7 wires like to burn. Did you take your spark plugs out while installing your headers? If not you probably have a cracked plug and it dosen't present itself unless it's under load...the spark arcs out to the block. I did this on a OBS pickup header install. I ended up taking a spark plug boot off and the top of the plug came off too. I bet you a dollar that's what it is.

Dave

The plug wires are the obvious choice. People have had problems with early design Dynatechs and the up and over design of the drivers' side header. The number 5 and 7 wires like to burn. Did you take your spark plugs out while installing your headers? If not you probably have a cracked plug and it dosen't present itself unless it's under load...the spark arcs out to the block. I did this on a OBS pickup header install. I ended up taking a spark plug boot off and the top of the plug came off too. I bet you a dollar that's what it is.

Dave

I removed the plugs when I installed the headers.

Plug wires my good man Plug wires.

I zip ties the #5 & #7 wires together and to the truck to keep them off the crazy drivers side header and also covered them with boots. I got on it today going up the entrace ramp to I64 and it didn't miss a bit. This is driving me crazy. The truck does seem to want to die a little when I first start it up.

i just put my dynatech headers on a couple of weeks ago and burned the #5 plug wire. i called dynatech and what was funny was that they said there werer thousands of those systems in use with no problems. BUT if i REALLY wanted, they would ship me two new retrofitted wires for the #5 and #7 holes. dumb huh? anyways on raceworks recommendation i went with taylor vertex wires that i cut myself and routed differently and since have no problem.

footnote. i also thought i had a misfire at high rpm but it turned out to be the driver side header hitting the body. very little clearance there. i just used a prybar and pushed the body back a smidge and no more problems.

i have the two retrofitted wires if you want. they are msd 8.5 superconductors i think with a 90 degree bend on the block side. pm if you want and i can drop them in the mail for you if interested.

:driving:

no what im saying is you need the thicker ones either taylor or maybe msd.. with heat sleeves.. the excess heat and the stainless do not get along with the wires.. just about everyone running headers sees some weird misfires beacuase of the stock wires

I'm running magnacore plug wires on mine. Wonder if it's alright to mix and match plug wires since they are made from different manufactors? I would think with my zip tie deal and the plug wire boots(heat sleeves), the heat from the headers wouldn't be my problem. :dunno:

i dont think it would matter. i ran a 10mm mallory race wire off my buick for a week till a got my wire thing straighten out and it ran fine. one thing i noticed with the taylors is that they did not like to be zip tied at all!!!! i was going to zip tie one and after i did, misfire. took off the zip tie and no misfire. food for thought.

i just put my dynatech headers on a couple of weeks ago and burned the #5 plug wire.  i called dynatech and what was funny was that they said there werer thousands of those systems in use with no problems.  BUT if i REALLY wanted, they would ship me two new retrofitted wires for the #5 and #7 holes.  dumb huh?  anyways on raceworks recommendation i went with taylor vertex wires that i cut myself and routed differently and since have no problem. 

footnote.  i also thought i had a misfire at high rpm but it turned out to be the driver side header hitting the body.  very little clearance there.  i just used a prybar and pushed the body back a smidge and no more problems. 

i  have the two retrofitted wires if you want.  they are msd 8.5 superconductors i think with a 90 degree bend on the block side.  pm if you want and i can drop them in the mail for you if interested.

PM sent about the 2 wires :D

i just put my dynatech headers on a couple of weeks ago and burned the #5 plug wire.  i called dynatech and what was funny was that they said there werer thousands of those systems in use with no problems.  BUT if i REALLY wanted, they would ship me two new retrofitted wires for the #5 and #7 holes.  dumb huh?  anyways on raceworks recommendation i went with taylor vertex wires that i cut myself and routed differently and since have no problem. 

footnote.  i also thought i had a misfire at high rpm but it turned out to be the driver side header hitting the body.  very little clearance there.  i just used a prybar and pushed the body back a smidge and no more problems. 

i  have the two retrofitted wires if you want.  they are msd 8.5 superconductors i think with a 90 degree bend on the block side.  pm if you want and i can drop them in the mail for you if interested.

PM sent about the 2 wires :D

pm answered.

• 3 weeks later...

Problem Solved: :D The misfire was being caused by the stock metal boots. I removed them and the misfire virtual stopped. I had 6 misfires total on my last 2 logged runs and the truck felt much stronger. So that 14.47 I ran at the track should drop a bit to maybe a 14.1 or 14.2. The misfire was really causing problems on my track runs. I could hear it through both runs. It was so bad on my second run that my time was 14.88. I can't wait to get back to the track and see how she does. Who would think something so simple would cause so many problems. NOTE to non-mechanical people like me: Remove the stock metal boots when you add new plug wires :banghead:

Problem Solved: :D  The misfire was being caused by the stock metal boots. I removed them and the misfire virtual stopped. I had 6 misfires total on my last 2 logged runs and the truck felt much stronger. So that 14.47 I ran at the track should drop a bit to maybe a 14.1 or 14.2. The misfire was really causing problems on my track runs. I could hear it through both runs. It was so bad on my second run that my time was 14.88. I can't wait to get back to the track and see how she does. Who would think something so simple would cause so many problems. NOTE to non-mechanical people like me: Remove the stock metal boots when you add new plug wires :banghead:

i kept wondering why you said metal boots but you had aftermarket plugs. now i get it. :banghead:

so you are saying if I put some MSD I would not need those metal boots?  it that cool?

I think the problem is with the dynatech headers/stock plug wire boots. Maybe the headers heat the metal boots up which causes the misfire. :dunno: Or maybe the magnacore plug wires just don't like the metal boots. Not sure if the msd wires would be affected by this. The misfire problem stopped after I removed the metal boots. I recorded 3 WOT runs to about 70-80 mph and the ss ran so much better and the log only showed 6 misfires compared to 58 misfires on one run.

Archived