AH Of Our Generation Award

misterp

:rant:

OK so tonight I'm changing the tranny fluid in the truck and I have to pull the full pan down because the drain plug was stripped when I bought the truck :mad: Anyway, all is going ok (that is to say I was wearing a couple quarts of warm dripping ATF) until the last little traffic-stopping detail, I discover that the shift cable bracket is in the way and it has to be removed to get the pan off. I remove the shift cable, but you have to reach up atop the tranny to remove two cap screws to get the bracket off so the pan will come down. And of course when I tried to loosed said screws with an allen wrench I stripped the heads out, so now there's no way to get that bracket off, and hence no way to get the pan off. :banghead:

So I am nominating the GM engineer that designed that POS bracket for the **** Of Our Generation award; I mean really, the moh-ron who crafted this piece of bent metal could have fashioned it in a way where it does not obstruct removing the pan for regular tranny service, as well as used actual bolts to attach it to the tranny so stripping out the hardware would not be an issue. Well, I would have anyway. :mad:

OK rant over. Time to finish my ATF change.

Mr. P.

well, good luck Mr. P! You'll firgure out that it's easier than your making it... and if it isn't you might look into fixing that stripped drain plug to save yourself the hassle down the road.

IMO the drain plug is just for show - the pan has to come off anyway to change the filter. But I guess I would have saved a t-shirt!

Yeah, I feel your pain...those screws are actually T-25 I think. I exchanged them for 2 with 10 mm heads when I had the trans out (sometimes I am thinking). Here's how to get the drain plug off...get a large nut that will fit over the head of the drain plug and weld it to the plug. If you don't have a welder take it to a exhaust shop or something. The heat from welding will also help to loosen the liquid steel that GM secures it with. Thats how I got mine off. Also you may be able to get a small pair of vise grips on the rear most shift cable bolt. When you go to the parts store I think the drain plug is 14mm, just get the shortest one available and one with a O-ring gasket under the head. Good luck!!

Dave

There's alot of engineers I'd like to smack up side the head.  :mad:

Yeah, starting with all of the ones that still design/manufacture products with straight blade screws! I always replace them with Phillips when I get something that has flat ones...

No shit! I was thinking the same thing on the straight screws.