Just installed Belltech spindle and shackles

Outsource

When I picked up the truck, everything looked good except the steering wheel was a little off center. No big deal, he said to bring it back tomorrow and he'll fix it.

Not until I got home did I notice that the front tires were a little cocked (camber?) :confused:

Can someone explain why this happens with the spindles and what has to be done to correct it?

Thanks.

The alignment was done. From what I understand, the equipment they have for alignment is pretty high tech. Drako - maybe you can chime in as I think Truckin' did your drop as well. PM me and I'll tell you how I know.

What's funny is I went back to them before they closed to show them the camber, and guess what........murphy's law......when I pulled up and had the guy come out to look at the truck.....it looked perfect!

Not sure if it has something to do with how the truck sits in my driveway as opposed to their shop. Pulled it back into my driveway, which has a slight incline and it looked better, but a slight, and I mean slight, camber can be seen.

Still a little confused. Going to take a 400 mile round trip ride to Ft. Myers tomorrow. We'll see how she rides.

Overall, I'm happy with the drop. It looks great, and I can feel a difference in how she handles.

I'll keep you posted.

OK, just got back from the shop. I was talking to one of the techs and this is what I was told. Please tell me if this sounds right......

Everytime I've noticed that the camber looked off, its been just after backing it into the parking space. I have a habit of always backing in. So, as I wrote above, when I went back to the shop to show him the day it was installed, I drove up to the shop and put it in park and got out. I did not back it into a space. So when we looked at it, it was perfect. :dunno:

So today the tech said that this happens when you back the truck into a space. He said the wheels tend to lean a little bit when going in reverese, but when you move forward it straightens out.

Does this make sense to you guys?

i baffled here. i think you put on the same drop as mine and i had no camber change at all. my alignment was exactly perfect before and after as well. i don't think if all your doing is changing the knuckles and not cranking the torsion's that an alignment is needed. :dunno: im confused.

i baffled here.  i think you put on the same drop as mine and i had no camber change at all.  my alignment was exactly perfect before and after as well.  i don't think if all your doing is changing the knuckles and not cranking the torsion's that an alignment is needed.  :dunno: im confused.

I was told that it's always recommended to do an alighnment after the drop. I read all of your posts prior to making my decision on the type of drop I was going to do because I really like how yours came out, and becuase you said you didn't need to mess with anything else. But when I got into it, someone suggested the alignment, as well as the shop doing the drop, so I did it. What's $60, right?

Riv - let me ask you....do you back your truck up alot like I do?

i baffled here.  i think you put on the same drop as mine and i had no camber change at all.  my alignment was exactly perfect before and after as well.  i don't think if all your doing is changing the knuckles and not cranking the torsion's that an alignment is needed.  :dunno: im confused.

I was told that it's always recommended to do an alighnment after the drop. I read all of your posts prior to making my decision on the type of drop I was going to do because I really like how yours came out, and becuase you said you didn't need to mess with anything else. But when I got into it, someone suggested the alignment, as well as the shop doing the drop, so I did it. What's $60, right?

i do not. i just have a hard time seeing if the only thing you are disconnecting is the upper and lower ball joints that an alignment is necessary. i think any shop would recommend having an alignment but ive done this truck as well as a 97 s-10 i didnt have to align either so maybe ive been lucky. as far as camber mine hasn't changed at all and i havent heard of backing in changing the pitch of the camber but maybe it does. hope you get it going either way. :flag:

i do not. i just have a hard time seeing if the only thing you are disconnecting is the upper and lower ball joints that an alignment is necessary. i think any shop would recommend having an alignment but ive done this truck as well as a 97 s-10 i didnt have to align either so maybe ive been lucky. as far as camber mine hasn't changed at all and i havent heard of backing in changing the pitch of the camber but maybe it does. hope you get it going either way. :flag:

Trust me....I'm just as confused as you are. Hoping someone else has heard of this and will chime in.

I installed their 2"drop kit in my 06 a few weeks ago. It is pretty easy to install, it only takes about an hour and a half. Although it is new spindles the kit really doesn't mess with the ball joints or tie rod ends aside from pooping them out of the old spindles and back onto the new ones. I can't see how it would change things as they came from the factory. I suggest just drive it and keep an eye on tire wear. Get a wheel alignment though, mine needed one. If the steering isn't really light after an alignment and it doesn't pull, tracks straight and doesn't dog track it should be fine. If your real worried jack it up and see if there is anything loose

I installed their 2"drop kit in my 06 a few weeks ago. It is pretty easy to install, it only takes about an hour and a half.  Although it is new spindles the kit really doesn't mess with the ball joints or tie rod ends aside from pooping them out of the old spindles and back onto the new ones. I can't see how it would change things as they came from the factory.  I suggest just drive it and keep an eye on tire wear. Get a wheel alignment though, mine needed one. If the steering isn't really light after an alignment and it doesn't pull, tracks straight and doesn't dog track it should be fine.  If your real worried jack it up and see if there is anything loose

It tracks straight, does not pull, but the steering does feel lighter. Does that mean anything?