Help with 160 degree thermostat

Black2003SS

How do you tell if you have an air bubble trapped in the cooling sytem? My 160 deg thermostat runs at 180 deg (gauge and Hptuners log) and then after a little bit of driving it will go up to 200deg and then back down and then up again randomly. I did the burping procedure again and it still happens. It is worse in warm weather. Seems if I am on the freeway, it never really does it. However, It also seems to only do it if I have gone up or down a significant hill. I did the search and saw that one guy who had a tool to evacuate the system with a compressor and refill it. I was also told it should work its way out too. Do I just need efans? I dont feel like going and spending the $90 for the tool. I wish we just had a bleeder valve on the thermostat housing like other vehicles.

all I did was leave the cap off the rad I think while letting it idle for a while. My temp never goes above 185, at least not yet it hasnt. Did you put water wetter in as well, that seemed to level out the temp a little for me instead of it jumping around :dunno:

mine does it too. According to my scanguage, it never goes over 185F though. The needle in the gauge cluster does fluctuate, especially driving in town... not on the freeway though because its getting more air through the radiator. I dont think the stock cooling system can keep the temps at 175F all the time.

• 3 years later...