How to Request: Painting Brake Calipers

OK - I'll admit it. I'm probably an idiot when it comes to this. I've never owned a vehicle with 4 wheel disc brakes and never had wheels that allowed you to see the calipers that well. How do you go about painting your calipers? What is the best product/paint to use?

The Kit:

http://www.duplicolor.com/products/caliper.html

How to video:

http://www.duplicolor.com/training/caliper_training.html

and my results using it:

DSC_2641.jpg

its a peice of cake to do, even if you've never done it before.

Edited by Dylan06SS (see edit history)

I used high temp engine paint and you definately want to clear coat them it really brings out the color. I bought the kit for calipers but it is a long process trying to get it to cover. I think the spray cans are better. I put on a bunch of coats.

Most of all, Get a dremel and grind off all the rough edges on everything. It looks great and the paint will cover better. I learned and improved as I went so my last caliper is the best. :jester:

I took mine apart but did not disconnect the caliper from the line. I masked everything off. A little overspray gets on the frame, etc....but washes right off.

I also painted the rotors (NOT THE CONTACT PART) a silver/gray color to match the wheels. (it's the high temp silver/gray?)

Also get some little SS stickers (EBAY) and put on under the clearcoat. LOOKS GREAT!

Here is the only pic I have on my work PC. I can post more but it won't be until the weekend. (work out of town :shakehead: )

ssredbrakesdriversside4cu.jpg

Edited by COZWV (see edit history)

I used high temp engine paint and you definately want to clear coat them it really brings out the color. I bought the kit for calipers but it is a long process trying to get it to cover. I think the spray cans are better. I put on a bunch of coats.

Most of all, Get a dremel and grind off all the rough edges on everything. It looks great and the paint will cover better. I learned and improved as I went so my last caliper is the best.  :jester:

I took mine apart but did not disconnect the caliper from the line. I masked everything off. A little overspray gets on the frame, etc....but washes right off.

I also painted the rotors (NOT THE CONTACT PART) a silver/gray color to match the wheels. (it's the high temp silver/gray?)

Also get some little SS stickers (EBAY) and put on under the clearcoat. LOOKS GREAT!

Here is the only pic I have on my work PC. I can post more but it won't be until the weekend. (work out of town  :shakehead: )

COZWV, if you have any more pics post them up. Looks like they turned out great. I'm intrested in doing mine, time for a small mod... Also a couple questions. Where did you rest the caliper to paint, and did you use the duplicolor engine spray or high temp spray.

Thanks!

Most of all, Get a dremel and grind off all the rough edges on everything. It looks great and the paint will cover better. I learned and improved as I went so my last caliper is the best.  :jester:

Here is the only pic I have on my work PC. I can post more but it won't be until the weekend. (work out of town  :shakehead: )

COZWV, if you have any more pics post them up. Looks like they turned out great. I'm intrested in doing mine, time for a small mod... Also a couple questions. Where did you rest the caliper to paint, and did you use the duplicolor engine spray or high temp spray.

Thanks!

Also I read somewhere how someone was using a high temp spray paint, spraying it in a cup, and painting it on with a paint brush. Anyone having any experience with that?

I was gonna paint it soon, *im gonna do a bunch of installs in mid december*. However Im not a big fan of the red, but that silver has to go Im also sitting on the fence with the "SS" decals. I dunno just think there may be too many "ss" things all over the truck

• 2 weeks later...

10018940001eh3.jpg10018950001gy0.jpg10018960001uo4.jpg

I used a clothes hanger to make a hook to hang the caliper from. I put tape over the hook and put it through the stock holes in the edge of the fender. Masked off the fender and frame with newspaper. As I said what little overspray I did get washed off plus I painted the frame and stuff black afterwards anyway. The caliper bracket and rotor of course I painted elsewhere as they come off without issue. Like I said the biggest improvement was using the dremel to grind off the casting marks.

I will add this took me several weeks. I did one at a time each weekend. I am slow and I work out of town and don't drive the SS much. I'd say you could do 2 in a weekend and get a good finish. I mainly wanted to make sure the paint was really dry before trying to put the brakes back together due to having to handle them so much.

Hope this helps. :thumbs: