Chamois?

(Mind you I own a black truck) IMO too much risk of micro-scratching, plus it leaves a residue behind that can be seen against black paint. Most vehicle paint damage is done during washing/drying. Cheaper microfiber towells do the same; also if you do not completely rinse the laundry soap out of your microfiber towells they will smear and/or scratch. On lighter color vehicles you will not be able to see the microscratching without proper lighting and maybe a magnifying glass. I use a CA water blade to get 3/4 of the water off, then compressed air + microfiber towell for the corners, that usually leaves a piano finish but even at that the clear coat needs polishing annually to keep that show truck shine.

Mr. P.

Thanks, I have always used a chamois because around here unless you go to a car wash and let them do it because they use towels. Having a Black truck has me trying new things to make it look better after washing I am now trying the "Der Car products" I have seen on here and have ordered some of there mcrofiber towels to see if I like the results.

Thanks

I still use chamois... its my preferred meathod of drying.

The problems many people run into with them is usually the result of either poor product or improper preperation.

I use only 100% lambskin chamois... a lot of the cheap ones you'll find are not defined as the type of skin, or a synthetic.

A good chamois will be oiled with 100% cod-liver (fish) oil. Prior to using any new chamois it should be soaked in hot water and cleaned out thouroughly using a mild soap and air dried. Dish soaps work well b/c they repel oils, ideally you want a very slight mixture of soap as to not over-clean it and leave the chamois without any oil in it. The manufactures over-do the oils and thats what causes the "residue" misterp was referring to. Most times I wash, rinse, and dry the chamois 2x before its used on my paint. You can usually see the water turn a yellowish orange as you clean it the first couple of times.

Its also a good idea to chance chaomis frequently. They do loose their effectiveness and stiffen up over time. When they do this just toss them out b/c they'll do more damage than good in this state.

Always be sure to rinse the chamois completely each time before using. Dirt and dust in the air and deposits from the previous use will stick. Make sure its completely saturated and rinsed before using it each time.

Hope that helps. :thumbs:

Edited by Dylan06SS (see edit history)

Micro-Fabric clothes lift dust from surfaces and trap it in the clothinstead of scattering it like regular clothes. The ones I sell have over 90,000 fibers per square inch (70%Cleaning 30% Absorbing) and will absorb 8 times its own weight in water. My parents love them for their motorcycles and cleaning reading glasses.

DO NOT WASH WITH CLOTHES, DO NOT USE FABRIC SOFTENER OR DRYER SHEETS. Our product is Dryer safe but if there is ANY lint in the dryer drum it will find it and it will cling to the towel. They dry faster than Chamois material also. Personally I like Compressed air, water Blade and Micro towels.

Zippy is good with motors and stuff I guess I can be the resident Micro-Fiber guru :D

DW

Micro-Fabric clothes lift dust from surfaces and trap it in the clothinstead of scattering it like regular clothes. The ones I sell have over 90,000 fibers per square inch (70%Cleaning 30% Absorbing) and will absorb 8 times its own weight in water. My parents love them for their motorcycles and cleaning reading glasses.

DO NOT WASH WITH CLOTHES, DO NOT USE FABRIC SOFTENER OR DRYER SHEETS. Our product is Dryer safe but if there is ANY lint in the dryer drum it will find it and it will cling to the towel. They dry faster than Chamois material also. Personally I like Compressed air, water Blade and Micro towels.

Zippy is good with motors and stuff I guess I can be the resident Micro-Fiber guru  :D

DW

Where can I view your products and thanks guys for all your opinions/help on this. :thumbs:

Brad

Like Dylan said, I have never had a problem with a chamois, but I take extra care to make sure it doesn't scratch my black truck. I have heard that the water blades scratch more than a chamois, I know they seem soft, but I feel that they would scratch too. A company that makes microfiber towels just started making microfiber chamois, haven't picked one up yet but they look decent.

Zippy is good with motors and stuff I guess I can be the resident Micro-Fiber guru  :D

DW

Where can I view your products and thanks guys for all your opinions/help on this. :thumbs:

Brad

:withstupid: I'd like to check some of these out... I'm always needing more microfiber.

...  I have heard that the water blades scratch more than a chamois ...
In my experience it completely depends on the wash job, if you leave *any* dust or foreign material on your paint then the squeegee will drag it along the surface, I've done it a couple times :eek:

A lot of my distributors (Automotive Paint Stores PPG,BASF,Sherwin Williams, Sikkens,DuPont) carry our brand and several other brands (3M, Meguiers etc) of micro-fiber cloths. The ones I sell have a Norton part #04402. Depending on the store they may or may not have them in stock, they can always order them from one of the warehouses the deal with.

The one we sell is 16"X16" and if you use your hands for a living (Mechanic,Land Scaping) it clings/sticks to your fingers.---Does not apply for massage Therapists or Doctors--

DW

I work right next to a detail supply shop http://www.prevettes.com and have a few of their MF towels. One to dry with, the other to go back over with their minute detailer solution. 13 bucks each, but they're 2 feet by 3 feet long.

They also carry a lamb skin "seude" chamois that never gets hard after it dries. It also helps pull away some of the surface contaminants left on from the wash. Costs 40 bucks though if I remember right... :crazy:

Edited by SS_bnoon_SS (see edit history)