to cage or not to cage [your opinions]

Quik

who here would cage their truck? yes caging a truck to be legal at the track.. its been done before and i swore i wouldnt do it but been thinking alot and seen Parish's setup and it looks clean. i want to be legal at the track when i go and not have to worry about not having a cage. I know i didnt get there yet this year and probably wont since my year ended. but figured with the new powerplant and N20 setup it should easily put me where im shooting for

now if you caged the ride what interior would you rock? i currently have a 2 tone leather with leather door panels or would you go with 2 race seats?

just would like a vibe from some

If I'm not mistaken, the down bars will have to go through the back window in order to be legal. You can't have it come out below it right??? I think it would be cool to have the cage and if you race often, and you will break that 11.49 then it's definatly worth it. I would get a swing arm for the door pieces so you could get in/out easy. I would also try to have the cage as concealed as possible inside the truck. I would also leave the interior you have.

If you cage it make it like the cage Wheel 2 Wheel did on their Nova. Very clean and fully functional. But if regulated design dictates that you must go through the rear glass I would be hesitant.

Don't want to hi-jack the thread but do you need a 4 point or 6 point cage for under 11.49? My uncle builds Race car header/mufflers and cages and I started building one for my 1976 Chevy truck but ended up selling it.

DW

11.49 and faster 5pt minimual

Can it be a 5 pt that bolts together? The rear downbars- bolting to the main hoop- like the method used on some swingout bars? Then you could swap windows and bolt in the cage, and remove everything when not needed. *IF* it's legal....?

Mounting plates that bolt through the floors attaching to the frame to the hoop and downbars are legal, we have them at our track regularly.

• 3 months later...

It all depends on what you're going to do with it. I've seen alot of hairy crashes at race tracks where the driver walked away relatively unhurt because of proper safety equipment. You're running quick enough where a minor mishap could easily turn catastrophic.

im back on this dilema...still not sure of cage or not. i dont want to be harrassed at teh track without one. i decided keeping leather but still not sure of cage

I say cross that bridge when you come to it; it the truck goes faster than 11.50 make your decision then; at that point, it will all depend on whether you want to have it on the track or not. You have a very unique high profile truck, the first time that it breaks 11.50 the track officials will certainly not forget the paint/body work on your later vists. It blows but I don't see how you're going to be able to get away without it on the track.