Vortec MAX owner from Idaho

Vortec MAX

Just found this forum, but I have owned my truck since January, 2006. I own an '06 Vortec MAX 1500 Extended Cab 4x4. It is Victory Red with LT3 trim in medium grey leather.

Performance mods so far are a GM Performance Parts CAI and a Nelson 91 Octane Tune.

I am looking for an exhaust, but I am so damn picky that the only one I have really liked so far is a $1,400 kit from Borla. I am not willing to spend that much at this point. I have also been looking at the Magnacharger Radix kits. Think I might just have to own one of those.

Other mods I have done include: GM Victory Red bug deflector, GM wheel flares (like on the Z71), GM mud guards, GM bed rail protectors, Fold-a-cover, Penda bed mat, Du-Ha underseat storage, GM dished floormats, GM sill protectors, Dashmat Ultimat, Tokonsha Prodigy, Garmin Nuvi navigation, and an MP3 input for the factory Bose system.

I still plan to give the truck the monochrome treatment with body colored mirror covers, doors handles, tailgate handles and the grille from an SS.

So...that's me. Nice to meet you all.

Mike

Edited by Vortec MAX (see edit history)

Give a big list of mods like that and no pics :confused: You should know better :nono:

I don't have any yet with ALL the stuff on, but I will offer up some pics of the GM Performance Parts CAI kit install just to temporarily fend you off.

The kit contents

Install pic 1

Install pic 2

Install pic 3

Install pic 4

Install pic 5

Hopefully these work.

Oh and thanks for all the welcomes!

Mike

Now that is impressive ... This is how we learn about what's on the market! ... I know you got her all together and all, but would it be possible to remove the filter and take a shot of the opening of the box from the inside where it mates to the inner fender?

I would like to see how much of an opening it has to pull from and what it looks like ... Thanks!

If you don't mind, what is the full kit part number and how much did you pay?

Pictures are worth a thousand words! Thanks!

11H

I would like to see how much of an opening it has to pull from and what it looks like ... Thanks!

Will this do?

Fender Pic

I just happened to take a pic before the filter went in.

Funny you should ask that. I was also concerned with this. I concluded that the two holes have more cross sectional area than the 4" diameter tube does. Also, the foam gasket that seals the box to the fender varies from between 3/4" and 1" thick. This gasket is VERY easy to draw air through. It is very porous. Under acceleration, air can be sucked through the foam gasket if flow through the fender holes is not adequate.

If you don't mind, what is the full kit part number and how much did you pay?

I paid about 310 bucks! It was worth it. It is very well made and looks great. The part number is 17801346.

I don't know if I am allowed to do this on the forum, but here is a link to the place I bought it. It was the cheapest place I could find.

GM Performance Parts CAI Kit

Oh, I almost forgot, here are some pics of the truck before the Fold-a-Cover. There may be other parts missing from the pics too, but I am not sure what.

Truck Pic 1

Truck Pic 2

Truck Pic 3

Thanks again,

Mike

Edited by Vortec MAX (see edit history)

You should get some baseline numbers from a dyno run or at the track before you start modding, I wish I would have  :happysad:

If you know of a way to do a dyno run in stock configuration, I'd like to hear it. I attempted to get a base HP and TQ on the dyno. I could not do so because I ran into the speed limiter at around 89 MPH.

I did do what is called a 1/4 mile sprint. The dyno I was running on was a Mustang dyno. It has the capability of simulating an actual 1/4 mile run based on the weight of your vehicle and the aerodynamic coefficient. It uses magnetic brakes to apply the correct "load" to match those factors. The "load" increases as the speed increases to simulate air drag.

Anyway, stock I ran:

60' = 2.01 @ 31.8 MPH

330' = 6.00@ 56.0 MPH

660' = 9.52 @ 69.6 MPH

1000' = 12.68 @ 77.1 MPH

1/4 Mile = 15.40 @ 83.3 MPH

I used a weight of 5,450 lbs. Keep in mind that my altitude is 4,400 feet - in case you were going to call my truck slow :) I put in a brand new AC Delco paper filter for the above run.

For the next run, I took out the AC Delco paper filter and dropped in a K&N stock replacement. It actually ran slower with the K&N in. Fluke? Who knows. The difference was in the first 60 feet, then It had more top end as evidenced by the terminal speed. Results:

60' = 2.11 @ 31.8 MPH

330' = 6.11 @ 55.8 MPH

660' = 9.64 @ 70.1 MPH

1000' = 12.79 @ 77.3 MPH

1/4 Mile = 15.49 @ 83.4 MPH

For the next run, I left the K&N in but swapped out the PCM for one that Nelson Performance out of Texas tuned for me. It fired right up and idled smooth to my surprise. I ran the truck for 5 minutes or so at idle prodding the throttle a few times, then ran an exercise on the Mustang dyno that had me speed up and slow down for another 5 minutes or so. Results:

60' = 2.13 @ 31.7 MPH

330' = 6.01 @ 57.7 MPH

660' = 9.44 @ 72.3 MPH

1000' = 12.47 @ 80.2 MPH

1/4 Mile = 15.08 @ 85.6 MPH

I have to say I could hear the difference. It actually spun the tires on the dyno starting out and at the 1-2 shift.

The next run was a zero to sixty run - no changes. I posted a 6.78 second 0-60.

The next run was another attempt at HP and TQ, since I suspected that Nelson removed the speed limiter. These values are "with WCF" which means they are corrected for weather and altitude. I started the run in third gear at 70 MPH to avoid a downshift.

Results:

287.6 HP @ 5007 RPM at 106.8 MPH

320.2 TQ @ 4043 RPM at 85.0 MPH

So I do have some data to play with. I still have not run it with the GM Performance Parts CAI yet. I will let you know when I do.

Mike

Vortec MAX,

Very nice to see someone actually testing with a loaded dyno! ... I am actually more partial to them, but since the industry standard seems to be Dynojet Inertial dynoes, it only allows for more apple to apple comparisons ...

I have helped in developing one CAI that is retail market now, and you hit the nail on the head which is why I wanted to see the inletting ...

Honestly, the only way or REASON I see that would make more over the oem box is because it removes the flat panel filter ... If you are able to do a pull off-idle in the Mustang, you will surely see a better curve off-idle ... As you saw with the paper filter vs. K&N ... Off-idle will ALWAYS be better when you can pull a high delta P in the inlet ... (The higher and quicker you make vacuum the higher the curve will start off)

IMO it MIGHT show an identical curve as oem box as they are BOTH still air boxes but the way the filter sits in reference to the fender openings, it is not much for efficiency ... Then when she starts pulling hard through the top, this kit will make more power than oem ...

(Some will say the tubing is less restrictive) ... However in all my dyno testing, the oem tubing is not a restriction on a NA motor; in fact it makes the curve build quicker ... At least in my testing on these Gen III's ...

Food for thought I guess ... Nice to see you also have found there is NOTHING to gain with a K&N panel filter ... :)