Steering Wheel "Clunking?" !!?!?!

06redSSrwd

i just purchased my first chevy ever, an 06 red rwd SS brand spanking new on the 30th of september. I couldn't be happier with it (especially since i've broken in the motor and have had the chance to smoke a few victims :P ) anyway... what is all this i hear about steering wheel "clunking?"

I am very new to this truck however i just want to know exactly what it feels/sounds like so i can know to look out for it.

and lastly i would personally like to thank ALL OF YOU! for all of your efforts and posts on this site, i feel as though i know my truck so much better and can know how to treat it so much better because all of YOU! everyone here is great and thanks for all the info!

Edited by 06redSSrwd (see edit history)

You'll know. Steering feels a bit loose and small bumps, especially around corners at first, will feel like a light clunk through the wheel.

One problem with forums in general is the worry factor that can arrise. Its nice to know what to look out for, but its also nice to just drive and not worry all of the time.

You'll know.  Steering feels a bit loose and small bumps, especially around corners at first, will feel like a light clunk through the wheel.

One problem with forums in general is the worry factor that can arrise.  Its nice to know what to look out for, but its also nice to just drive and not worry all of the time.

"Its nice to know what to look out for, but its also nice to just drive and not worry all of the time."

Well said..! :cheers:

you'll know it when it starts. some trucks never have the problem but i've already had my second lube kit done. next stop is a new shaft.................like that's any better. BTW i now have 22K on the clock.

other than that damn intermediate shaft all has been trouble free so far.

Just had mine into the shop for same reason. They lubed the intermediate shaft and so far so good. But it's only been 5 days. Same thing happened to my '03. I have a relative that's a service rep at chevy and he says it is not uncommon for trucks coming in for adjustment. Either tightening a nut(s) or lube. :chevy:

Funny - I just posted the same problem however the answer is that its the steering spline making the nose - greas it!

shopman1

i just purchased my first chevy ever, an 06 red rwd SS brand spanking new on the 30th of september. I couldn't be happier with it (especially since i've broken in the motor and have had the chance to smoke a few victims  :P ) anyway... what is all this i hear about steering wheel "clunking?"

I am very new to this truck however i just want to know exactly what it feels/sounds like so i can know to look out for it.

and lastly i would personally like to thank ALL OF YOU! for all of your efforts and posts on this site, i feel as though i know my truck so much better and can know how to treat it so much better because all of YOU! everyone here is great and thanks for all the info!

mine is starting to make a slight clunck, after a year of the famos fix [lube shaft] we all should get a petition and send it to gm. maybe they will do somthing then. just a thought

How serious is everyone about getting a group letter together to send to GM about this shaft clunking?

I'm game to manage the project if we have enough peolple interested ... :smash: