Dumb question from the new guy - 160 T-stat

Vortec MAX

a little more than that ... It decreases the mean running temp of the combustion chamber ... Not by much, but a small amount ... This allows a more aggressive pcm tune as far as timing and fuel ... In comparison to the oem stat, you have a bit more tuning margin with a 160 ...

Running a 160 without a tune to take advantage of it, and lower fan settings as well would be near worthless and potentially cause a MIL to set ...

a little more than that ... It decreases the mean running temp of the combustion chamber ... Not by much, but a small amount ... This allows a more aggressive pcm tune as far as timing and fuel ... In comparison to the oem stat, you have a bit more tuning margin with a 160 ...

Running a 160 without a tune to take advantage of it, and lower fan settings as well would be near worthless and potentially cause a MIL to set ...

So this mod without a custom tune specifically for the 160 degree T-stat is worthless? Interesting.

Where or how do you change the fan settings? Is this also in the tune?

I would also like to know if there are any negative side effects to this mod, such as the heater not working right in the winter.

Why doesn't GM design the trucks with the 160 T-stat in the first place? Is there some reason they want to keep the engine warmer?

Mike

Edited by Vortec MAX (see edit history)

So this mod without a custom tune specifically for the 160 degree T-stat is worthless? Interesting. (In my opinion)

(There are many ways, but since it is controlled by the PCM, you need to retune it; however you may is up to you)

I would also like to know if there are any negative side effects to this mod, such as the heater not working right in the winter. (This gets subjective; with a 160 stat, the coolest you can buy, you delay warm-up significantly, meaning you are holding in enrichment mode longer, which many have said, increses the chance of more oil oxidation sooner over time, and repeated cycles of long warm-ups and possibly running a 160 in cold weather increases the chance you don't as efficiently burn your air/fuel resulting in some long term neg side effects. Again, it depends on your environment, HOW or WHO tunes your truck, and how you maintain it. In the performance world there is always an amount of risk when you increase power. In short, if you live in the south where you don't have much chance of freezing temps, run one. Run it with an oil no thicker than 10W30, and if you live in the north, maybe a 180 is a compromise)With a factory stat, it takes 10 miles of solid drive time or so to fully warm the oil to evap off contaminants; preferably highway miles.

Why doesn't GM design the trucks with the 160 T-stat in the first place? Is there some reason they want to keep the engine warmer? (They run the stat they run to allow for a fast warm-up and to allow for a complete burn of the air/fuel to ensure low emmissions. Consequently the cooling system is designed around the factory stat, so adding a 160 doesn't mean you are going to drastically reduce the head temp, but it helps a little if you are going for the most aggressive tune possible)

If you have a vehicle with a mechanical fan, my testing has shown a 160 stat eventually allows 195 stat operating temps anyways here in AZ. If you have elec fans, you can get them on earlier to help support the 160. I don't run a 160 because I have a picky dealership with nosey techs that would take it upon themselves to "troubleshoot" why my truck was not showing what all the other show, and whether I left my tune in or not, it would cause issues. So for me, I keep the stock stat and the person writing my tunes has told me, they can work around it, and the ability for heat soak here in AZ doesn't pose a huge benefit swapping in a 160 stat... Once a tune is installed say mail order or any for that matter, not many people LOG or monitor their truck as to see what the tune evolvs to, most just trust the tuner so a lot of what you are asking here is not verified by most

Edited by 11H (see edit history)

• 5 months later...
So this mod without a custom tune specifically for the 160 degree T-stat is worthless? Interesting. (In my opinion)

(There are many ways, but since it is controlled by the PCM, you need to retune it; however you may is up to you)

I would also like to know if there are any negative side effects to this mod, such as the heater not working right in the winter. (This gets subjective; with a 160 stat, the coolest you can buy, you delay warm-up significantly, meaning you are holding in enrichment mode longer, which many have said, increses the chance of more oil oxidation sooner over time, and repeated cycles of long warm-ups and possibly running a 160 in cold weather increases the chance you don't as efficiently burn your air/fuel resulting in some long term neg side effects. Again, it depends on your environment, HOW or WHO tunes your truck, and how you maintain it. In the performance world there is always an amount of risk when you increase power. In short, if you live in the south where you don't have much chance of freezing temps, run one. Run it with an oil no thicker than 10W30, and if you live in the north, maybe a 180 is a compromise)With a factory stat, it takes 10 miles of solid drive time or so to fully warm the oil to evap off contaminants; preferably highway miles.

Why doesn't GM design the trucks with the 160 T-stat in the first place? Is there some reason they want to keep the engine warmer? (They run the stat they run to allow for a fast warm-up and to allow for a complete burn of the air/fuel to ensure low emmissions. Consequently the cooling system is designed around the factory stat, so adding a 160 doesn't mean you are going to drastically reduce the head temp, but it helps a little if you are going for the most aggressive tune possible)

If you have a vehicle with a mechanical fan, my testing has shown a 160 stat eventually allows 195 stat operating temps anyways here in AZ. If you have elec fans, you can get them on earlier to help support the 160. I don't run a 160 because I have a picky dealership with nosey techs that would take it upon themselves to "troubleshoot" why my truck was not showing what all the other show, and whether I left my tune in or not, it would cause issues. So for me, I keep the stock stat and the person writing my tunes has told me, they can work around it, and the ability for heat soak here in AZ doesn't pose a huge benefit swapping in a 160 stat... Once a tune is installed say mail order or any for that matter, not many people LOG or monitor their truck as to see what the tune evolvs to, most just trust the tuner so a lot of what you are asking here is not verified by most

I have an 06 max with an electric fan, computer module, 180 stat and my operating temp is still 195, which is what it was with the 195 factory stat. No codes or problems so far. I go up to the mountains in the winter snow and don't want a 160.

Edited by black max (see edit history)