New Chevrolet Valve Covers and Taylor 409 Wires

As some of you may recall I got a Whipple Supercharger a couple of months ago and I have been gathering parts for the install. I realized when I pulled the whipple off of a Hummer that you have to swap valve covers from one side to the other side. I decided if I was going to pull the valve covers, I wasn't going to put the stock ones back on. I decided on some "Chevrolet" valve covers and this meant relocating the coil packs and new plug wires. Since I needed new plug wires, I wanted really big ones. I went with Taylor 409 wires and now I know why I never see guys with coil packs running them. First of all, they are exspensive. Second, Taylor only sells 8mm coil pack boots and the hole in the boot is only 6mm, therefore I had to drill them out to get them to go over the 10.4mm wires. The final problem with trying to run really large wires with coil packs is that coil pack terminals are designed to be inserted into the coil along with part of the plug wire. So even with the wire stripped and crimped it is too big to go inside of the coil. :banghead: To overcome this I had to shave part of the wire to a smaller diameter to work. I also had to fab up a way to remount the coil packs. I started out trying to make complete new brackets/mounts and later decided to modify the stock ones. Needless to say, I was only able to get one side done so far. :wtf: The easiest part was bolting on the vavle covers after having a splash guard welded over the pcv hole to prevent oil consumption.

DSC08665.jpg

DSC08666.jpg

DSC08673.jpg

DSC08664.jpg

DSC08662.jpg

DSC08676.jpg

DSC08675.jpg

DSC08677.jpg

Let me know what you think so far. :thumbs:

looks good but you need to get some headers those rusty manifold take away from the beauty the valve covers add.

:withstupid:

beat me to it, very very nice, but get some nice headers and i guess clean up everything in there a bit. Very nice addition

I was planning on keeping the Iron Manifolds. I need the extra weight over the front tires to help keep it from spinning. :crazy: I'm just kidding. I'm going to get some long tubes when the right deal comes along. I'm hoping that we will get a truck in sometime soon with them and I will swap them out. That's how I got my whipple (I work at a dealership).

LOVE the valve covers! 

just one question, you're going to relocate the coils to the top of the intake?

If you look at the 6th & 7th picture down you will see that I have the braket mounted to the top side of the intake. You will also notice that I have only done the passenger side so far. I left the flat bar long on the driver side so I can cut it to length when I do the other side. I wanted the coils up and out of the way so you can see the valve covers.

I was toying with the idea of relocating my coils but I haven't made any progress. I was thinking of moving them down low (like the F-body guys do) or on the inner fender. Maybe I need to think outside of the box and do something like they have on the LS2 crate motors and putting them on the passenger side on one bracket. I can't do it the way you have them cause of the supercharger.

Dave

UPDATE: I finshed both sides. The only problem that I'm running into is there is a small vibration right around 2000 rpm's from the coil packs. Because there hanging out over both sides of the intake the vibration is magnified. I guess I'm going to have to add some kind of support brace to the bottom of them. I'm also going to make some kind of engine cover to cover the top of the intake to help clean/cover things up a little.

DSC09192.jpg

DSC09193.jpg

DSC09194.jpg

DSC09195.jpg

DSC09196.jpg

Looks pretty good.  I like it. 

One question though...having the coil packs up there isn't going to interfere with the whipple supercharger?  I thought the whipple sits right about where the coil packs are now....could be wrong though.

The whipple supercharger sits right above the passenger side valve cover, so it will interfere with the coil packs on the pass side with the way I have them right now. :banghead: I do have some slack in the plug wires so once I have the supercharger mounted I hope they will be long enough when I move the coil packs. I may have to put them under the supercharger. I have to do things in stages since this is my daily driver and I just wanted to go ahead and get the valve covers on. I guess that's all part of hot rodding, especially when you are mixing and matching parts.

gmwip311224.jpgwhipple_supercharger_gm6-0.jpg

The lt1 spark plugs would have worked great and would have gave you extra length.

I bought the custom fit wires, you cut them to length. Taylor only sells the LT1 wires in a 8mm version and I wanted BIGGER wires. I used LT1/LS1 boots and I had to drill them out in order to fit over the 10.4mm wires. As a whole, I'm happy with everything. :)

DSC08664.jpg

Just asking...... But whty the 10.4 wires... Just for looks?

Iam sure U arent gaining anything performance wise.

Hell ,my brothers 9 sec ls1 F Body only has 8mm. Runs great, tried others but never made any more power.

Looks Cool though. :cheers: