My Speed Gauge

BlackSS04

WTF happened here. The MPH never goes past 20 and the needle is mostly down at zero all the time. This just happened today and I have no clue how to fix it myself. What should I do about this? A man needs to know how fast he's going.

Edited by BlackSS04 (see edit history)

I had the exact same issue and hoped it would go away... but it just get's worse. You have to get the cluster replaced. Mine was still under extended warranty and was covered. If you are out of warrenty you can find them "cheap" on line but the dealer has to install so they can switch over all the settings and memory.

When I was researching it a while ago I remember a lot of guys having the same issue. I couldn't find a recall though.

Hope that helps...

Mines doing the same thing, just the other direction, it stays maxed out most of the time and occasionally comes back down to 0. Its the guage cluster, apparently the motors in them are complete shit. 300$ for a new cluster. I'm gonna swap mine out for the Escalade cluster, the blue lights look better IMO.

Here's some new information, I found out tonight, guys ...

GM has released a software update for the IPC (Instrument Panel Cluster) to address a cluster's non-responsiveness ... so, this may fix your problems ...

"Part#: 15124091 CVN#:0000C778: New software in lieu of replacing hardware to address warranty issue with all IPC cluster gauges being inoperative"

THis new software may fix all of your problems ... let me know ... :thumbs:

• 4 weeks later...

Same screwy speedometer here. Sometimes 0mph while driving, sometimes 60mph when stopped, sometimes slow, sometimes fast, sometimes correct. I've got an appointment on Wednesday to get it checked out. I'll let you know what the dealer says they'll do with it out of warranty. Thanks for the info, perk!

Here's some new information, I found out tonight, guys ...

GM has released a software update for the IPC (Instrument Panel Cluster) to address a cluster's non-responsiveness ... so, this may fix your problems ...

"Part#: 15124091 CVN#:0000C778: New software in lieu of replacing hardware to address warranty issue with all IPC cluster gauges being inoperative"

THis new software may fix all of your problems ... let me know ...  :thumbs:

How do you use it, and are you sure it will work?

Well, I just got back from the dealer. It cost me $45.21 for them to tell me that I need a new gauge cluster. Go figure. They didn't agree that it could be a software problem. :icon_bs: So, cost to replace cluster through the dealer ... $394.83 (parts and labor)!! Tack on the $45.21 to find out the cluster is busted and you're looking at $440.04 to fix this, what seems to be, common problem.

I just found this guy on eBay. Speedometer Repair Service Has anyone used him or heard of any of his work? This route is $109 + $10 s&h vice the $394.83. I'm open to all opinions. Thanks!

Edited by Snozberry (see edit history)

• 4 weeks later...

Anyone find anything else on the speedometer? mine just started acting up :banghead: It seems like mine is weather related. When the truck is cold-like under 40 degree's outside- the speedometer won't even work,then when the truck warms up it slowly starts working normal again. I think it's about to :puke: