timming table

ccgoodwrench

i have installed a 160* thermostat and e-fans how much should i advance timming and which table?

I zero out the AFR Correction table, then add quite a bit to 60gcyl on up. See attached screen shot. This works fine for me with the stock stat even, so with the lower temp stat, you should be able to go a few higher without knock retard. Scan to be sure though!

post-7241-1163448624_thumb.jpg

Are you FI or NA? First do what SS_bnoon_SS stated but do it to the high octane table. Add a few * and scan. Where you see KR, you know you have to drop it a touch.

Just a tip, add more timing down low vs the upper rpm's, it worked great for me when I was NA. Gave me better times at the track.

I actually would advise against the method ss_boon_ss has said, as it can lead to more knock occuring when not in PE mode. PE Mode fueling allows for more timing to be run without knock than stoic. Therefore, if you hit this 0.60 column or wherever you start out with increasing your timing and you're no in PE mode (very easy to do), you'll be more prone to knock (and be making less power) if your timing is too high at that point. Rather, I prefer to add in significant timing to the AFR correction table in the row corresponding to PE Mode AFR. High octane table spark adjustments are smaller in nature and just there to add

Both methods will work, but of the trucks I've tuned using both methods, the ones using AFR correction to deliver increased WOT timing have typically no knock to speak of, whereas those with only changes to the High octane table are over-timed in high load non-pe situations and tend to knock a bit more (namely the 1600-2400 rpm, 0.56-0.64, normal acceleration range)

I actually would advise against the method ss_boon_ss has said, as it can lead to more knock occuring when not in PE mode.  PE Mode fueling allows for more timing to be run without knock than stoic.  Therefore, if you hit this 0.60 column or wherever you start out with increasing your timing and you're no in PE mode (very easy to do), you'll be more prone to knock (and be making less power) if your timing is too high at that point.  Rather, I prefer to add in significant timing to the AFR correction table in the row corresponding to PE Mode AFR.  High octane table spark adjustments are smaller in nature and just there to add

Both methods will work, but of the trucks I've tuned using both methods, the ones using AFR correction to deliver increased WOT timing have typically no knock to speak of, whereas those with only changes to the High octane table are over-timed in high load non-pe situations and tend to knock a bit more (namely the 1600-2400 rpm, 0.56-0.64, normal acceleration range)

Actually, I had quite a bit of knock retard at all loads/RPMs and was told on hpt forums to zero out the AFR tables and add timing to the high octane table to correct it (started with a pcmforless tune that pinged like a diesil truck). It worked and I've been adding back in timing to the high octane tables without issue. :dunno:

I actually would advise against the method ss_boon_ss has said, as it can lead to more knock occuring when not in PE mode.  PE Mode fueling allows for more timing to be run without knock than stoic.  Therefore, if you hit this 0.60 column or wherever you start out with increasing your timing and you're no in PE mode (very easy to do), you'll be more prone to knock (and be making less power) if your timing is too high at that point.  Rather, I prefer to add in significant timing to the AFR correction table in the row corresponding to PE Mode AFR.  High octane table spark adjustments are smaller in nature and just there to add

Actually, I had quite a bit of knock retard at all loads/RPMs and was told on hpt forums to zero out the AFR tables and add timing to the high octane table to correct it (started with a pcmforless tune that pinged like a diesil truck). It worked and I've been adding back in timing to the high octane tables without issue. :dunno:

You mean you had knock like this? This was one of the first logs I made, long long ago before I made any tune changes. :shakehead:

KR-Map.jpg

Both methods will work like I said, but in the even that you do jump into a high load cell and are not in PE mode, you have a greater risk of knock than using AFR correction. It's similar to the Trailblazer PCMs that have a completely separate timing table for PE mode.

On 5.3Ls that I tune, I'll have the High octane table command in the 25* range and then the correction table will bring it up to 28* at WOT

Both methods will work like I said, but in the even that you do jump into a high load cell and are not in PE mode, you have a greater risk of knock than using AFR correction.  It's similar to the Trailblazer PCMs that have a completely separate timing table for PE mode.

On 5.3Ls that I tune, I'll have the High octane table command in the 25* range and then the correction table will bring it up to 28* at WOT

Hummmmm, I may have to rethink my timing table... I made this timing table prior to enabling PE at a lower than stock RPM. If I lower back down my main tables and up the PE mode, I may get better tip in response without any KR... :cheers:

thanks guys i think i'm starting to catch on, ss boon ss table looks like it is few * higher than mine at 1200 rpms and up, but i can only see up to 5200 rpms, picture very blury if i in large it, i'm a dummy at posting pictures and printing. also i'm NA and did have KR at the 1-2 shift like 6*, haven't done any scanning was installing e-fans- 160* t stat so the battery has been disconnected just waiting for every thing to relearn i also reset my fuel trims by mistake, only put 30 miles on truck since reconnecting battery :cheers: