80e question

I'm not a transmission expert, so please tell me if I'm wrong.

I've been studying up on tranny information for about 2-3 months now. Every where I look on the internet, and everyone I have talked to at tranny shop, mechanics, and a couple of hot rod shop, have said the 60e/65e will take 600-650hp max, built as good as it can be. The 80e stock can take 800-900hp depending who you ask stock, just a basic rebuild.

Say you can find a 65e built to the hilt, that can take max hp for what $2000-$2500 plus having it put in, say $2500-$3500 total.

Now i,ve found 80e rebuilt all over the place for $900-$1300,plus install about $1400-$2300 total, and conversion kits for $450-$600, , plus retuning the computer which you would have to do(or really want to do anyway) with the 65e also.

My question is why does everyone say it cost so much more to convert to 80e? Almost every where I look, I can't get it done for more money in the end, and thats for a 4wd, not a 2wd, it's cheaper. Plus you don't have to baby it, or be nervous every time you squeel the tires, or get into it.

Am I missing something? :confused:

the 80e is a bit more complicated, than that it requires addign some stuff to the computer, there is an additional speed sensor in the 80 that has to accomadated. besides that there is the hardware, new driveshafts and new crossmember, there is a company that is now making a input shaft for the x fer case that will mate with the 80, so that would be the way to go. i am looking ino tthis also there is a caompany going to be making a kit for it soon , what im waiting foris a comany making a stand alone management to make the 6l80 work

Ahh, I forgot about the drive shafts, but thats still what $300-$500.

I've found kits that have the crossmember, adapter plugs, and flywheel/tourque converter adapter, and the tailshaft and housing for $464 at transmissioncenter.net

I'm not awd, but I swapped to a 4l80e about 18 months ago. It ran in the 1300.00 range for my 2wd. Mine is completely stock and has taken alot of abuse. The one big drawback is 1st gear 3.06 vs 2.48. If you are n/a or s/c it will hurt your bottom end. If you have a turbo it will help.

There are custom ratio planetary sets for the 4L80E in the aftermarket but of course that would add $$$ to the project. If you are 2WD then yes the hot ticket for a performance tranny is the 80E no doubt. I spent about $3500 total on my hardened 4L60E & converter, I'm sure that in a 2WD truck you could get a lot better trans (80E) installed for that price if not less. But as Chase pointed out in an AWD truck there is the added expense of mating to the existing transfer case, so you've really gotta be a big torque player to justify the expense of that conversion IMO. I'm just thankful that there are starting to be some real options now; not only the 80E but the Viper T56 conversion (900hp) and the coming 6L80E six-speed, which I'm sure someone will make a computer/controller for it to work in place of an A4.

Mr. P.

what im waiting foris a comany  making a stand alone management to make the 6l80 work

:withstupid:

which would be a cool ass setup, BUT the TBSS guys-espically the vector guys says that it is not a possibility!

My fingers are crossed but it is going to take some work to get the six speed auto.

the end all of six speed talk, I hope someone still wants one

:banghead:

GM may have 6l90's in new trucks, but I know for a fact the 4l80e will be used until 09 in hds and some 1500's.

The pcs company's trans controller, if I remember correctly, came out at about the same time as TCI and a few other companies. They all look alot alike. HMM

Hopefully they will have a hot mode in the new controllers.

Edited by Megofast (see edit history)

what im waiting foris a comany  making a stand alone management to make the 6l80 work

:withstupid:

which would be a cool ass setup, BUT the TBSS guys-espically the vector guys says that it is not a possibility!

My fingers are crossed but it is going to take some work to get the six speed auto.

the end all of six speed talk, I hope someone still wants one

:banghead:

i dont care what they say, anything i spossible espeacially a stand alone computer, it may not be the best but it may work, the 6 speed should also have less drivetrain loss than the 4l80.

i dont care what they say, anything i spossible espeacially a stand alone computer, it may not be the best but it may work, the 6 speed should also have less drivetrain loss than the 4l80.

:withstupid: Totally. Even GM saw the light and on their cutting-edge stuff they have broken the PCM down into two computers (engine control module and separate trans control module). Today you can buy from GM a 4L60E control box for carburated engines, I'm sure that someone is already hard at work making a similar piece for the coming A6 as well . There is already massive demand for this 6-speed conversion, someone is going to make it happen.

Mr. P.

• 3 months later...