Pricing of 69 Camaro

I've had my eye on a 1st gen camaro for a while. Although I'm not that familiar with the pricing of these cars. I've been looking at 2 different 1969 Camaros. One is a SS 350 V8 4spd, X11 code, 10 bolt car with a restoration about 5 years old and is pretty solid and is good condition (paint not perfect, some chrome a little dull), the second one is a SS 396 4spd, 10 bolt car also restored about 5-6 years ago in similar condition to the first one. What is a reasonable price for these cars. Also what are the key things to check for when buying a muslce car, other than checking the floor and trunk pans.

Thanks

im in the same boat now, ive been eyeing a few 68-67's , the pricing i am seeing for cars like this are around 15k some a little more dpending on options and models. like the 396 would probably be a little more. youve got the check for rust right, also try look hard for any bondo or anythign that shows signs of somethign being replaced. check vin#s to see if they look like they have been messed with at all. and make sure its what your looking for. id also suggest asking brian aka posi12bolt for advice he does this thing quite often.

I can tell you that a true SS car never came with a 10-bolt rear. So either the original rear end is no longer in the car, or it is not an SS. Make sure you do some research on options, and codes before you take someone at there word. I have seen some pretty screwed up stuff people try to sell.

The 1st Gen Camaro's are the nicest looking Camaro's ever made. If the 396 one is orginal, then it's the most valuable, as is almost any muscle car with a big block. Here is a web site that may help you. Camaro Research Group.

Edited by Rays B4U (see edit history)

im in the same boat now, ive been eyeing a few 68-67's , the pricing i am seeing for cars like this are around 15k some a little more dpending on options and models. like the 396 would probably be a little more. youve got the check for rust right, also try look hard for any bondo or anythign that shows signs of somethign being replaced. check vin#s to see if they look like they have been messed with at all. and make sure its what your looking for. id also suggest asking brian aka posi12bolt for advice he does this thing quite often.

I've been checking floor pans, trunk pans, and one guy had his car up on the lift so I could see the under carriage. I'm not an expert in buying these kind of cars, wheres the best place to check for replacement quarters, etc. On one of the cars it looks like the bottom may be sprayed with some POR-15 so It's hard to see the rust condition.

My brother sold a nice 427 1969 Camaro. It ran 11.1 in the 1/4, clean car, sold it for a little under $20,000.

Canadian? I'd say thats a pretty damn good deal for the guy who bought it. When you talk about nice, are we talking about a nut and bolt resto car, a cosmetic fix up car, rust, paint condition? You seem to have quite the knowledge with the classics, so what do you look for when you buy one of your mopars?

I can tell you that a true SS car never came with a 10-bolt rear. So either the original rear end is no longer in the car, or it is not an SS. Make sure you do some research on options, and codes before you take someone at there word. I have seen some pretty screwed up stuff people try to sell.

I've tried to do some decoding based on the tag on the fire wall, and the cars seem mostly to match up, with the exception of paint, or rear end on the 350s case. But there isn't too many records on some of these cars, so its hard to exactly be sure.

The 1st Gen Camaro's are the nicest looking Camaro's ever made. If the 396 one is orginal, then it's the most valuable, as is almost any muscle car with a big block. Here is a web site that may help you. Camaro Research Group.

How much would a number matching 396 4spd SS car be worth in good condition versus a clone?

My brother sold a nice 427 1969 Camaro. It ran 11.1 in the 1/4, clean car, sold it for a little under $20,000.

Canadian? I'd say thats a pretty damn good deal for the guy who bought it. When you talk about nice, are we talking about a nut and bolt resto car, a cosmetic fix up car, rust, paint condition? You seem to have quite the knowledge with the classics, so what do you look for when you buy one of your mopars?

My brother's Camaro was clean, but NOT a "nut and bolt resto" for sure. It was more like a very nice exterior, very blah interior weekend warrior type of car. The body was solid and looked really nice, the interior wasn't "bad", but it wasn't great, but the car ran like a scalded cat..... It was more of a drivetrain car with a nicely painted body than a correct restored car. It was NOT a factory 427 car either.

I buy ANY brand car I look for one thing first.... a SOLID foundation. :lol: I have bought one too many rustbuckets when young to bother kidding myself anymore. ;) I don't care about a rusty fender or dented door, those can be replaced with little effort, but I dig into a car in hidden areas now due to my purchases in the past....

1969 Camaro DZ302 Z28's are fetching over $50k in original or original restoration formats. Also, a correct numbers matching camaro big block will also be around $50k plus. Barrett-jackson caliber cars could be even higher.

The biggest thing you have to decide is this...do you want a numbers matching car or not. It really is that simple. After that, you know what to look for. If you do not care about option codes, originality etc. you look for the rust, build quality, car history, mechanical, and the engine combo you want.. If you want a numbers matching car, the price goes up, way up and you most likely want ot restore it to original condition to fetch top dollar on your investment.

You can easily spend $120k on a 1st gen camaro either customized or original. but for $20k, you can have a really nice 69 that will turn alot of heads and be a mean street machine. you will not get a full restored 1st gen numbers matching for $20k unless the owner is completely retarded.

Here is a link to a nice 69 Z28 I have seen in person as my dad and I are looking for another 69 numbers matching car.

http://www.southernmotors.com/ford_details.asp?CarId=930

And then a non-numbers matching 69 big block...

http://www.southernmotors.com/ford_details.asp?CarId=923

This place has been in business for a very long time (20yrs I think) and I purchased my car form them, a very nice original 1978 Z28, all original. Very reputable. Maybe not a place you will ever buy a car from, but he has always had a good nose on the market. Point also, since he is in the business to make money, you know he purchased these cars at either auction, estate sales, or private owners for less money. Figure maybe a 15% mark up on most cars. So the numbers matching 69 camaro, he probably bought it in the mid 40k range and stole it from the owner.

Edited by Black2003SS (see edit history)

...My father sold a numbers matching 68 with a 396 4 speed for 44K 3 years ago.

Took that money and bought a 67 vette with the 435 HP 427 all numbers matching for 68K. That same car just appraised for 127K 2 months ago. Not a bad investment :cheers:

I would check VOLO as they have a nice turnaround for cool cars

That's what I was thinking, too. I know for sure that big block cars had the 12 bolt rear.