Details on the AWD setup?

kickinasphalt

Hello all! This is my first post on the board. I really like this new Silverado SS. I currently have a Pontiac Grand Prix GTP. Before I got that car I was going to get a 99+ Silverado 4x4. I bought the GTP instead because I decided I need something that had better gas mileage since its a 350 mile drive from college to home. This pickup does interest me and is right in line with the new GTO as a future vehicle. I have a question regarding the AWD system. Is it a 50/50 system or a differnt ratio. Is it true that the axle gear ratio is 4.10? I take it this is the same setup thats in the GMC C3. How is that holding up (realiability speaking). Thanks!

I believe that it is holding up pretty well as long as you don't add a lot of hp.

Poud Member of the Society for the Preservation of Adverbs..... Sorry, just one of my pet peeves, makes message boards hell for me.

And I am a PROUD member of the National Spelling Association, Joe. Let me reiterate, Proud not Poud! :D

DOH! :P:lol:

My ty that I had could take a corner in a way that you would not think that a blazer could. It was awesome. It was a little bit of a challenge if I launched it and started spinning all 4. It would go a little sideways depending on which way I had the front tires pointed. I don't know if you will be able to spin all 4 in the SS. You will have to work very hard to spin all 4 in the SS.

My '99 Suburban had that Auto-Matic Locking four wheel drive selector. If engaged on snow,then you hit the gas, it would spin the rear for just a split moment, then the front axle would engage along with some nasty sounding "clunks" in the transfer case...! Is this what we are getting with AWD? I have not been in an Escalade to see how it works.....

fill me in :huh:

• 1 month later...

So am I reading this properly?

"Full-time AWD and Locking Rear Differential

A standard full-time, all-wheel-drive (AWD), viscous-coupled transfer case uses the traction of four driving wheels to provide exceptional on-road, wet or dry pavement handling. It requires no driver intervention, and automatically and continuously transfers torque from slipping wheels to those with a firmer grip in a smooth, almost imperceptible manner. Its continuous 38-percent / 62-percent front-to-rear torque split provides optimum handling and control, further enhanced by a standard full locking rear differential."

All 4 wheels will receive power and spin at the same time all the time? If it senses slip, it takes a little power away from that wheel and puts a little more towards one that is not slipping? It seems to me that it is almost the same as full time 4 wheel drive with the % of power going to the front vs. the rear being different. (front wheels usually get less and the rear get a little more)

Some one please shed some more light and insight into the matter. For about the 50th thousand time, I am not a very mechanically knowledgable person! Thanks!

Justin

And please don't pick on my spelling in any of my posts! English was never a good subject in high school......come to think of it.....high school wasn't a very good subject! I did get my diploma though on my first try. (with a few night school classes) I can't even begin to figure out how I pulled that one off. :P

Justin :lol:

Archived