URGENT - Need tranny help/advice

Hi all, I just got a call from stouss and he needs help. He installed the Zippy (Superior) kit and servos in his SS last week and everything's been great until tonight when he lost 4th gear. To make things worse he is two hours from home and is wanting to know if it would be safe to drive the truck home as it is or if that would damage the transmission. According to him there is no SES light on the dash, just missing 4th gear and from his description I think the truck is starting in 2nd gear as well. If any of you guys would be able to enlighten him on what is happening or what to do/not do, then please call me if you have my number, or PM me so I can get you his cel.

Thanks in advance -

Mr. P.

Hi all, I just got a call from stouss and he needs help.  He installed the Zippy (Superior) kit and servos in his SS last week and everything's been great until tonight when he lost 4th gear.  To make things worse he is two hours from home and is wanting to know if it would be safe to drive the truck home as it is or if that would damage the transmission.  According to him there is no SES light on the dash, just missing 4th gear and from his description I think the truck is starting in 2nd gear as well.  If any of you guys would be able to enlighten him on what is happening or what to do/not do, then please call me if you have my number, or PM me so I can get you his cel.

Thanks in advance -

Mr. P.

Tell him shut it of restart ,if its still the same drive it home 3rd gear position ,watch the temp n RPM's .......is there reverse ? if not he broke the sun shell. No 2nd, 4th or rev its the shell .If he has R its probably a solenoid

Tell him shut it of restart ,if its still the same drive it home 3rd gear position ,watch the temp n RPM's .......is there reverse ? if not he broke the sun shell.  No 2nd, 4th or rev its the shell .If he has R its probably a solenoid

That's kinda what I thought. I asked him at the time and yes the truck has reverse. But I was under the impression that a bad solenoid would trip the SES light? :dunno: He's worried that there is a problem with the servos somehow... I'll call him back with your assessment. :thumbs:

Mr. P.

Called Jared back and gave him your advise - he says: when manually upshifting from 1st to 2nd, and 2nd to 3rd the shifts are clean and positive; however when putting the selector in D the truck will roll-out in 1st but the shift into 2nd comes with noticeable slippage and after a while it will shift into 3rd. The trans will not go into top gear with either manual or automatic. And yes the trans does have reverse.

Mr. P.

edit - I also advised disconnecting the battery to reset the PCM :dunno:

Edited by misterp (see edit history)

as long as his converter still locks up in 3rd he should be able to drive home without the tranny over heating and him taking it easy. wans't there a o-ring or seal of some kind people were putting in wrong when doing the servos? i don't have time now to search, but i thought i remember others having problems when reinstalling the new servo and putting it togehter in the incorrect order? i don't know, my mind is in outer space right now, i spend the day with dewmanshu so i'm not thinking straight :crackup:

well I made it home and nothing seemed to self-destruct driving in 3rd for 3 hours at 3000 rpm. Forth gear is still gone and I am too mad to think about it now. thanks misterp for taking to time to talk with me on the phone. I will have to tear back into it tomorrow after work.

Does anyone know where to start with this missing 4th gear problem? Nothing I read has had similar symptoms. I guess I am going to start with the servos and then pull the pan. :mad: I reset the pcm and that’s the only thing I can do without getting to involved? What kills me is that it ran fine for a week, shifted great. :dunno: Zippy did answer allot of my dumb questions with the install.

I know when my transmission went bye-bye similiar to your situation (lost first gear...wouldnt move in Drive...and had to manually up shift from 2nd to 3rd...and then if I put the truck in drive it would move into 4th)

I broke a few bands, pressure valves and the forward sprag...Maybe just a little of this information will help in you determining the culprit...Good Luck

I put the stock 4th gear servo and cover back in the truck and it shifted into 4th with no problem. I talked to zippy and I am going send back the billet 4th and he is going to ship me a new one. I still can’t help but wonder if that small OE spring is used in this setup.

:withstupid:

:repost:

I have still not heard why zippy is not around much, he said he is super busy at work...and some other stuff :dunno:

Are we taking applications for trans guru?? :confused:

Due to various reasons I don't post on here much at all anymore. Most have been explained previously. Another issue is the more recent two issue's. I used to have alot more time to do posting at work, but the guy I work with is about as lazy as it gets and has cut most of my free time at work down to almost none. The new gf has taken away some of my time also, but not nearly as much as the idiot I have to work with.