VOLANT question .. anyone notice ?

11H

To whom it may concern:

I have been told I have a keen feel for changes in my vehicle so I will report ---->

I have installed the Volant, and on the inlet, I sealed-off the box to the inner fenderwell where it mates with aluminum tape, so the ONLY places the box can draw from is the 3" hole in the bottom of the box, and the factory holes in the fenderwell ... I did some WOT runs after a full PCM reset and about 100 miles of part throttle driving to level-off LTFT's ... I looked in the box, and all my sealing I did is still nicely intact and not pulled loose, so it looks as if the volant so far, is adequate in feeding a NA motor ...

Some observations I would like you to comment on, if or not you have experienced the following ...

1. My Flowmaster Big Block muffler has gotten quieter, yes, quieter under part throttle namely interior drone and under load, it is significantly quieter... also while in park sitting still, I rev the motor and it is quieter, and the motor seems to rev quicker ... (I am wondering if the louder/higher resonance exhaust is because the oem system pulls more vacuum under part throttle conditions, (due to more restriction) and makes the exhaust have more "load" hence changing the harmonics)

2. My tip-in "feel" has changed ... the motor is responsive yes, a bit more-so, but under normal driving it seems I have to give it more throttle input to get things moving ... again, I wonder if this is due to the lessened vacuum off idle ... (This might take some getting used to)

3. The "whistle" ... comes and goes ... I believe it is the lid leaking where it mates to the box ... it's not a perfect seal and might be pulling through there making the whistle ... mine is intermittent at 1/2 throttle or higher ...

4. My cruise LTFT's at 70 mph on flats, has gone from 6.25% to about 7-8.5% ... MAF lb/hr is the same ... It has been much colder yesterday, so the increased trims might be because of the cooler air (density) ...

Please, if you have input, lets have some discussion ...

Edited by 11H (see edit history)

1. I noticed my exhaust got quieter too, I think alot of it is mainly because the noise of the intake overpowering the sound of your exhaust. If you stand outside your truck and have someone drive by it may sound alittle louder. Intakes tend to bring out a more agressive tone from your engine area, I like it. I think it is a good compliment to the sound of a truck.

2. I also noticed the need to give more foot in the pedal to get things goin. I don't really like that. I thought the tuning would change that but it didn't at all, I probably should have mentioned it before I got it tuned though :happysad:. Seems like at some points there is alot of play in the pedal. I am actually not even possitive if that is from the intake alone though.

3. The whistle is deffinatly normal. All intakes usually produce a whistle. I have had 3 different intakes on my vehicles and all of them whistle, its just part of the build of the systems i guess, and how they pull the air in.

Hope some of this helps.

Nice post Kyle ... I guess I am not crazy then ...

I believe the tip-in "dead feel" might have something to do with the large intake tube ... If you look at the cross-sectional area in that tube, there are NO pinch points, and it is very large overall compared to the oem tube ... What I might do is try to run the Volant box and the oem tube to get some of that "feel" back ...

FWIW, when Pro Dyno was dyno testing their pro cold intake kit, they tried aftermarket tubes against the oem tube, and wot power did NOT increase when they added the over-size aftermarket tube over the stock tube ...

11H