downshifting manuely?

This brings me to an interesting thought ...

1. for sake of mention, the current batch of 4L60E's (2002 up) and derivatives are LIGHT YEARS ahead of the same trans in 1994 (someone mentioned a Camaro LT1) ... Absolutely no comparison ... If I had to venture a guess, with the hard upgrades and electronics in the new stuff, the 1994 version has been upgraded to the tune of I would say 40-50% better ... Not necessarily in max torque handling specs, but HOW it handles it, and in turn, how long it handles it ...

2. I have talked to old school tranny builders who continue to say, "artificially increasing line pressure over stock in a 4L60E/700R4 is going to lead to sure death" ...

a. Line pressure is line pressure whether created via valving/shift kit OR PCM controls.

b. If merely increasing line pressure hurt things, then they need to drive a newer GM 1500 series truck with T/H engaged with about 3 or 4 thousand pounds behind her and feel the 1-2 shift at about 3/4 throttle with some rpm hang right before the shift ... The word is BOOM ... That's factory programming ... Now tell me, how is adding a bit of line pressure via programming in normal mode gonna hurt things again?

my .02

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A few people told me this mode is good for racing  :dunno:
:nono: The right way to race your 4L60E tranny is to manually drop it all the way into 1st gear - that signals the computer to fully apply the clutches in 1st gear; once you are off the line bump the shifter into 3rd and leave it there until the end of your run. :driving: With factory PCM programming, if you leave at WOT in Drive the tranny clutches do not get max pressure, meaning that there is a chance for slippage of the 1st gear clutches.

Mr. P.

That's GOLDEN right there folks ... write that down ... You can actually feel more engagement if you pay close attention when you go from D to 1 ... I always thought it was a viscous thing or a disengagement/engagement thing because of the selector movement ... cool beans P ... :flag:

How about launching in 2 ... (j/k) :troll:

:nono: The right way to race your 4L60E tranny is to manually drop it all the way into 1st gear - that signals the computer to fully apply the clutches in 1st gear; once you are off the line bump the shifter into 3rd and leave it there until the end of your run. :driving: With factory PCM programming, if you leave at WOT in Drive the tranny clutches do not get max pressure, meaning that there is a chance for slippage of the 1st gear clutches.

That is some good info, thanks. not to get off topic, but this is a great board the people are GREAT!!

How about launching in 2 ... (j/k)  :troll:
You jest but I've had the PCM go into 'limp home mode' and all it would give me was 2nd and 3rd; I thought the truck was anchored to Oprah Winfrey. :cry:

Mr. P. :)

Edited by misterp (see edit history)

keep in mind that can be all changed with tuning. also a down shift is usually less agressive to the clutches than an upshift. no damage will be result any more than driving the truck.(more friction material is actually wasted in an upshift cause now your not only fighting the trucks inertia, your also fighting the engine and what is that number stock i believe 380 ft/lbs at the fly wheel. :eek:

1. for sake of mention, the current batch of 4L60E's (2002 up) and derivatives are LIGHT YEARS ahead of the same trans in 1994 (someone mentioned a Camaro LT1) ... Absolutely no comparison ... If I had to venture a guess, with the hard upgrades and electronics in the new stuff, the 1994 version has been upgraded to the tune of I would say 40-50% better ... Not necessarily in max torque handling specs, but HOW it handles it, and in turn, how long it handles it ...

2. I have talked to old school tranny builders who continue to say, "artificially increasing line pressure over stock in a 4L60E/700R4 is going to lead to sure death" ...

a. Line pressure is line pressure whether created via valving/shift kit OR PCM controls.

b. If merely increasing line pressure hurt things, then they need to drive a newer GM 1500 series truck with T/H engaged with about 3 or 4 thousand pounds behind her and feel the 1-2 shift at about 3/4 throttle with some rpm hang right before the shift ... The word is BOOM ... That's factory programming ... Now tell me, how is adding a bit of line pressure via programming in normal mode gonna hurt things again?

my .02

Everyone here seems to only be concentrating only on tranny abuse ... you also need to think about the driveline after the tranny.

That BOOM that is felt during the 1-2 upshift w/ 3-4000 lbs. of additional calculated load is, w/o a doubt an increase in line pressure, and more positive application of the clutches. However ... what kind of wear do you think is applied to the diffs. and other driveline components?

My SS has been experiencing some serious front-end growl the last 10K miles, and I do believe that she's gonna end up @ the dealer before the end of the year. Simply looking underneath SS's that are AWD shows that the front end is not built for the torque ratings of the 6.0L motor.

Ask any GM Technician ... they've been having problems with the SS's and the Escalade front ends, because it's a weak design.

So ... can the 4L60 handle the additional torque? Sure. Can the rest of the truck? I would be careful ...

Mr. P.

one of the trans guys said that when you leave it in overdrive there is more contact with the over drive clutch, thus giving more holding power :dunno:

I have a tuned PCM, and just drive around the box, load to about 1500 and then go.man thats some fun :driving:

my .02

Everyone here seems to only be concentrating only on tranny abuse ... you also need to think about the driveline after the tranny.

That BOOM that is felt during the 1-2 upshift w/ 3-4000 lbs. of additional calculated load is, w/o a doubt an increase in line pressure, and more positive application of the clutches. However ... what kind of wear do you think is applied to the diffs. and other driveline components?

My SS has been experiencing some serious front-end growl the last 10K miles, and I do believe that she's gonna end up @ the dealer before the end of the year. Simply looking underneath SS's that are AWD shows that the front end is not built for the torque ratings of the 6.0L motor.

Ask any GM Technician ... they've been having problems with the SS's and the Escalade front ends, because it's a weak design.

So ... can the 4L60 handle the additional torque? Sure. Can the rest of the truck? I would be careful ...

Hmmm ... look at post #10 ...

IMO the reason the SS has front end issues (growl) in my opinion is because it is AWD, and driven on pavement ... There is slippage in the TCase yes, at it is supposed to be able to be AWD and driven on pavement, but there is DEFINITELY more side loading of the carrier bearings and the front diff in general ... Is it the reason for failures? I don't know, but I DO know a part time 4WD system has less problems maybe just because it's not used all the time ...

And also, my opinion on STRENGTH ... I think it being AWD, and having the torque split between front and back, I think the strength issue is of no concern... The diffs when split, don't see the loading a single diff sees for example ...

again, not arguing, just my view ...

one of the trans guys said that when you leave it in overdrive there is more contact with the over drive clutch, thus giving more holding power :dunno:
You mean the torque converter clutch, right? None of our trucks are fast enough to shift into 4th in the 1/4-mile, so 4th gear is never used let alone engage the TCC. I need to research the next point because I don't exactly know but I do think that some guys change the lockup strategy in their PCM so they get TCC lockup in 3rd :dunno:

Mr. P.

You mean the torque converter clutch, right? None of our trucks are fast enough to shift into 4th in the 1/4-mile, so 4th gear is never used let alone engage the TCC. I need to research the next point because I don't exactly know but I do think that some guys change the lockup strategy in their PCM so they get TCC lockup in 3rd :dunno:

Mr. P.

here is where I was reading it

link to TBSS post and LS1tech

JFYI

Mr. P.

Yep, some do. I know that Holty for one does. Prompted me to adjust my 3rd lockup as well, but haven't driven it hard in the past few months to see what it does.

I hate the way my tranny shifts from 1 to 2nd most of the time, like its slipping for a couple seconds, and then dumps into second. I've noticed it doesn't happen with the tow/haul mode on, and actually like how it drives in this mode way better, but the manual says it will damage the drivetrain w/o loads. Is this a problem i should have checked out by dealer or is this normal. and how bad is it to run in tow mode? :dunno:

Mr. P.

So are you trying to say it is better to start in 1ts and once you launch go straight to 3rd. :dunno: I would think the truck would want to fall o its face but I am new to this.