HID Help

I recently installed the HID with the Phillips Ballast and 5000K bulbs. After all was connected, both headlight worked fine and I let them 'burn-in' as suggested by leaving them on for 10 minutes. After I mounted all the hardware to finsih the installation, the driver's side headlamp fuse blew after 5 seconds being on.

To ensure that it wasn't the kit, I swapped both the bulbs and the ballasts to the passenger side and both operated normally. What makes things worse is that the driver's side operates fine with the factory bulb.

I fear that the dealership will not help me trace the problem because of the aftermarket kit, even though I know ts not the kit since it worked on the passenger side. Does anyone know where I should start looking? Anyone experience this problem before? How do I troubleshoot this?

Thanks for all replies and suggestion.

So its the fuse that blows? Hmmm...I remember reading that because on start up the ballast brings up a lot of watts that you should ground the ballast. If your ballasts and bulbs are fine then maybe replace the fuse and ground the driver (and passenger just in case) side ballast.

Only other idea would be to beef up the fuse and put a larger fuse in there

Edited by drako (see edit history)

put a volt meter on them and see what kind of amperage they are pulling , maybe your fuse isnt big enough.

did you need to upgrade your low beam fuses? it's only the driver side headlight that blowin' the fuse, but the passenger side is just fine.

on my setup i had to get a ground and postive from aside from the actual lights, i had a plug and play socket that pluged in to the stock sockets that switched the relay on to get the actual power from the two sources the battery and ground not the stock wiring.

I think a larger fuse should be ok with it. Have you tried grounding it?

what part of the ballast do you ground?

here's what the ballast looks like-

install.jpg

By the look of that drawing, there is no ground. It looks similar to my HID kit which was a complete plug and play deal. If I were in your shoes, I would look into exchanging that kit for another to see if the kit is the problem. I definately wouldn't go pumping up fuses just so it wouldn't blow. Your asking for some type of fire hazzard.

install.jpg

By the look of that drawing, there is no ground. It looks similar to my HID kit which was a complete plug and play deal. If I were in your shoes, I would look into exchanging that kit for another to see if the kit is the problem. I definately wouldn't go pumping up fuses just so it wouldn't blow. Your asking for some type of fire hazzard.

the thing is that i tried both of the ballasts on the passenger side and they work fine and don't blow any fuses, it's just the drivers side. i'm thinking the drivers side wiring must be messed up.

did you ever resolve your problem?...When i installed my kit, it called for replacing the low beam fuses for a larger fuse...

yeah i did, just replaced the drivers side fuse for a 15 amp, and left the passenger side alone (if it ain't broke don't fix it!).

IMG_20061207_2022.jpg

thanks for all the help guys! :thumbs:

install.jpg

If I were you, I would look into measuring the amt. of resistance in the driver's side ground in the factory harness compared to the passenger's side. Based on the wiring diagram, the ballast obviously relies on the factory ground.

If you have more resistance (Ohms) on the driver's side, this would make sense as to why only the driver's side keeps blowing the factory-rated fuses. Placing a larger fuse in the circuit should not be the permanent answer, because this will force more current through your ballast/bulbs and you will find the driver's side will need more frequent replacing of parts than the passenger's side.

IMO, I would run dedicated grounds from the factory harnesses if I had your problem to ensure that everything worked the way it is supposed to.

~OR~

Fix the grounding issue on the driver's side.

Just my $.02

the way i have mine set up is, the factory lights switch a relay to the lights to turn on , but the power the lights are actually getting are thicker + and - wires from a direct ground and a positive in the fise box. this way you can return to stock and not have to upgrade the factory wiring.