brake squish

fox_forma

Ok guys, my truck is finally back on the road after my minor accident yet it still isnt all fixed, but it is on the road. Now since its been 3 weeks and I have been driving a ghetto Ford Escape, my brakes feel really squishy, I remember being a little before but not sure if it was this much. The lil ford would stop on a dime cause of its size so it feels a little odd being back in my truck. I have checked the pads/rotors just to make sure since I had the pedal to the floor when I hit the other car, even then it didnt really stop hard. What else can I check on? I am prob going to go with steel braided lines for a little more re-assurance but anything else I can do to tighten up the feel on the brakes for the time being>?

My experience with the aftermarket brake lines is that they will help with pedal feel quite a bit; it makes it decent, not great but decent. My last vehicle was a '99 Expedition 4x4, and on that rig I bought a set of light autocrossing/road racing brake pads (Bendix tri-metallic???) and it made a huge improvement in braking; that was a while back and I can't recommend a pad at the moment but I would definitely switch pads. And don't forget the basics and make sure the brakes are well bled, I've still been chasing the air out of mine ever since I put on the aftermarket lines.

Mr. P. :)

I forgot to add - glad to hear you are back in your truck. I trust everything came out well?

Edited by misterp (see edit history)

yeah for the most part everything turned out ok, i'm still waiting on my bumper parts but it is on the road for now. Ran into some confusion apparently when ordering parts so they got sent back and now I had to order them myself to make sure. I am still waiting on a bumper bracket as well, apparently the only way to get the bracket I needed was to order the whole reinforcement bumper so I had to search around till I finally found the piece without the bumper itself. Wasnt going to pay $400 for a full bumper so I could get one small bracket. :banghead:

The brake thing really has me worried though cause when the accident happened, I had that pedal to the floor and I was still rolling fairly easily. It seemed to stop hard in the beginning but then kinda just gave up to a slow roll. I saw a service bulletin out for the hydro booster or something. Any idea on that? Just dont want this to happen again

Good deal in finding the bracket, if you need part numbers or diagram I posted them up last week. If the brake booster was bad you'd know it, the pedal would be much harder to move; if you got it to the floor the brake booster is almost certainly working.

Mr. P.

I stopped by the local chevy dealer and was talking to the one service guy a little about my situation when the accident happened and the only thing he said they have been coming across lately is the brake dust isnt leaving the disc's and is getting built up not allowing it to grab the best. Looks like I'm going to change out the pads and throw on some steal braided lines just as a precaution.

What pads should I look into? I know there is HAWK, but I was hoping not having to wait to long if they had to be ordered. Trying to get this done ASAP.