Got my First ticket...

fordsareslow

Well I got my first ticket, although it's total crap. Yesterday afternoon my girlfriend and I were pulling out of a Sonic just after getting some lunch. It had been raining off and on all day and the ground was still damp. The Sonic sits at the top of a hill at a very busy intersection. I pulled out and started to head south (downhill). I literally traveled 150-200 feet when I see a motorcycle cop sitting at the bottom of the hill with his lights on. Myself along with the cars next to and in front of me all slow down. I figured he had got someone speeding and he pulled out behind me. I moved over a lane to let him pass and he pulls behind me so I pull over in a shopping center literally 250 ft from where he was sitting. I figured he pulled me over for no front plate. He says he got me for going 52 and locked me in at 51 mph on his Lidar. The speed zone is 35 mph. I was totally polite and didn't want to argue or do anything to make him remember me. What puzzles me is how could I in moderate traffic, possibly of gotten from 0 mph pulling out of the Sonic, to 52 mph in less than 200 feet. And how did the lidar (which is mounted to the bike and not held by the officer) pick my truck out of all the cars around me. Also, I thought the lidar picks up the signal from the front plate, the cop didn't even know I din't have one on.

My court date is February 1st (two days after my 22nd Birthday) I'm going to fight it but does anyone have any tips to try to help me along the way? I do have the Sonic receipt showing I had just left there. Should I measure the exact distance from where he was sitting to where the exit of Sonic is? I also know quite a few Police officers, so would it help if I had signed letters from them regarding my character or anything? Should I bring in my 250+ time slips from the race track and pictures of my truck on flyers form the race track and really push the fact of I do my speeding legally at the race track and not on the street? Basically I know I wasn't speeding and want to do anything possible to prove that.

I would just pay it and move on. In my physics class we learned that we can definately prove the inaccuracy of hte radar guns because anything from leaves flying acroos the road to birds can significantly hamper the accuracy of those guns, But good luck getting a judge to buy it. Sorry I couldnt be more help I am sure thats not what you wanted to hear.

A lidar isn't the same thing as a mounted radar. The only lidar I've ever seen is a handheld gun that has a sort of red dot type of display. You look through and there's a red box that serves as the targeting reticle and you hold that over the car, keep the trigger pulled and it displays a speed right below that. Lidars are supposed to be much more accurate than regular mounted radars.

I dunno, I could be wrong since I'm a noob when it comes to this sort of stuff. Perhaps one of our site members who's an officer could chime in, Stitches?

Edited by Kyle's03SilveradoSS (see edit history)

I could be wrong on the mounted thing. The ticket shows a Lidar was used, and I know he didn't have anything in his hands. I thought the Lidar's are fixed mounted and the Radar's are held in the hands of the officer. :dunno:

I already have the week off being that it's my birthday so I have no problem going to court. Trust me, if I knew I was speeding, I would just pay it and go to traffic school so nothing would be on my record, but the fact of I know I wasn't speeding, I just can't justify paying it and letting it go.

If you really want to do battle with the Cop. Take pictires of where it occurred. provide the measurements from the points of interest, and reciept will be handy to confirm time and place (double check against your ticket). a little math worked out for the judge won't hurt either. Accleration capability of your truck (example only).

Just paying it will cost you more in insurance than the ticket ever will. IF YOU BELIEVE you were not speeding, It's well worth it. Girlfriend also is another witness to the event.

http://www.markviii.org/htdocs/dc/dcboard....g_id=1197&page=

This is a post to Ask a COP in another forum. the guyis still fightingbut the photo stuff is an excellent example. The Cop is Gale 155, he's a libertarian, and hates lawyers and politicians.

Edited by LSR Mike (see edit history)

somthing you can do that my sister did is instead of fighting the ticket in court you can fight it through letters im not sure exactly how it works or what its called but basically you right a letter to the court in your defense and then the officer also has to write one the officer will almost never respond because he has to write it on his own time i dont know all the details but im sure its on the CA DMV website somewhere

Go in to court, shave, get a hair cut, wear a suit and be respectful as all hell, basically kiss the judges ass and ask the prosecutor if there's any other alternatives (ie driving school, drivers probation, stuff like that) to have it off your record. I got a speeding ticket when I was 16 and the judge made me take a class where we watched red asphalt all day then I was on 1 year of drivers probation where if I went 1 year with zero traffic law violations the ticket would never be on my record. I was very happy to take that because all I had to do was pay $37 in court dues then stay in a reaonable speed for a year and I have a perfect driving record. They will treat you accordingly to your looks though so look like a nice kid, not a dick head. Nice kids get off, dick heads don't. I also got a ticket when I was 14 for jumping off the salmon falls bridge (you may know where that is since you live in roseville, I grew up in folsom) Well two of my friends got tickets too and me and one of my friends both looked clean cut and all that when we went in and we only had to write an essay, well my other friend went in wearing a t shirt and he was an ass to the judge and he got his drivers license suspended until he was 18. Moral of the story, be respectful and bring up your perfect driving record and they will more than likely be leinient to you.

I wear a suit almost everyday for work so that won't be a problem. Thanks everyone for the advise.

What does everyone think about bringing in letters signed by law enforcement officers I know, regarding my character and judgement? Would it help or would it be irrelevant? Should I have my girlfriend come to court or have her write a letter regarding the events of the day?

I don't think any of that would matter to a judge. They may see it as trying to get out of it because you have law enforcement ties and that may make it worse. Get a lawyer if you are really worried about it. However, if you have a friend that is a law enforcement officer that is friends with a judge that may work.

I don't think any of that would matter to a judge.  They may see it as trying to get out of it because you have law enforcement ties and that may make it worse.  Get a lawyer if you are really worried about it.  However, if you have a friend that is a law enforcement officer that is friends with a judge that may work.

:withstupid: Letters from officers would probably be irrelevant, mainly because they weren't there. I would take your g/f if she can be there. Just in case.