1999 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 - GMPP LS7

diggler_d

Article on GM hi-tech performance

fourth gen with the ls7

Whole article

http://www.gmhightechperformance.com/featu...let_camaro_z28/

on page three:

Back in the pits, Lazlo and Mike swapped the street radials for a set of slicks, and I hauled tail to the lanes. It was now almost 8 p.m., which meant that Milan would be closing soon. The T56 was giving me more trouble on the way to the burnout box, and after smoking the brand-new meats big-time, I staged up. The last thing I wanted to do was stall this rocket on the slicks, so I gassed it until just over five grand was showing on the tach and side-stepped the clutch. WWWWHHHHAAAAA-aaaaaaahhh, the LS7 groaned, pulling my head into the cloth seat and recording a 1.67 short time. I again abused the shifter through the gears but had to settle for molasses-slow shifts, and flew through the traps--limiter kicking in immediately--with a 12.61 at 112. I was now down to the last run of the night, as the lanes had been closed off after I rolled in. I was joined in the pits by the Thomson crew, Jamie Meyer, Shawn Smith, and Lisa Reffett of GMPP, and Mark Whitney, who had earlier put the smack down on Meyer's stock Trailblazer SS with his tuned TBSS. With one run left the GMPP folks were adamant about going for broke and suggested that I leave off of the limiter--um, sounds good to me!

Just after 9 p.m. I pulled the bad black F-body into the water and executed a big Second- gear burnout. A crowd gathered on either side as I found the lane's groove and eased up to the lights. Once pre-staged I took a deep breath, jammed the shifter into first, and crept up until both yellows were lit. I let the tree come down, floored the throttle, and when the Racepak showed 7,000, dropped the clutch. The slicks bit, the nose yanked up, and my head whipped back, but my eyes strained to look down at the tach, which was already nearing redline! I clutched and rammed the shifter into Second, marveling at how fast the revs were climbing. Third hung up just a bit but took, and with insane acceleration taking hold, the slicks--set at a low 13 psi-- started to make the car sway. I applied minor correction to the steering wheel and jammed Fourth gear. The finish line loomed immediately, the LS7 banged the limiter, and it was over: 1.56 60-ft, 12.00 at 115.07.