Tranny drain plug

Two things...First try the heat, a oxy acetylene torch till cherry red. What I had to do was to find a nut that would fit over it and weld it to the drain plug, then it came out. I tried a Snap-on 6 point wrench and I stripped the f*cker. Good luck

Dave

:withstupid: DO NOT DO THIS. :dunno: what your thinking but tranny fluid has a flash point and oxy will reach that easily. your asking for a new truck this way. a quality socket and long wrench is key. if your off center or start to turn at a tilt your all done, and it will need to be extracted (ie destroyed). One trick i used is to use an air hammer and slide it arround slowly, but thats after it's stripped out. all the trucks have this problem.

Here's the thing...you can boil water in a paper cup on a open fire. The cup won't burn till the water is gone. What I'm saying is that you would have to pretty much heat up all of the fluid in the pan to the flash point before you had a fire and provide it with enough oxygen to ignite. My drain plug seemed to be made of pot metal and it rounded off with a 6 point easily. I welded the nut on there and it got cherry red when I welded it no problem. I guess you gotta do whatever works or pay somebody if you don't feel comfortable.

Dave

my nut came right off. I never knew of this problem till i read this. Wow, random! However i never got the pan off EVER. I used paper shop towels to soak up the fluid. pushed/pulled the new filer in place. kicked my own ass getting the metal/ruber gasket out so i could get the new one in. (use a small flat head screwdriver, hammer it inbetween the gasket and the side bingo!)

I unbolted the tranny from the cross brace, and jacket up the tranny....nothing! Never could get the damn pan out totally.

however my steering knuckles for the lowering kit took an extra few hours. I had to use a air hammer to knock out the wheel bearings.

In the end, i guess our trucks just want attention. They'll take as much time as they want to take till they are satisfied. -damn things are starting to sound like women!

• 5 months later...