cam recomendation from allan

wody

i emailed allan at futral motorsports with all my info about current and future mods and how currently i am n/a and am going to eventually go f/i and don't want to switch cams once i do. and he gave me these specs that would run on both setups.

214\220-114

Cam and Comp 918 spring kit w\pushrods

thats all he gave me on the grind.any thoughts?

Alan

I have not personally had experience with FMS cams but their reputation is golden. Many folks have taken Allan Futral's advice and been very pleased, there's never been a complaint yet so I'm sure you will be happy as well. As for the numbers on the cam, that is close to what I personally would expect to see in a FI cam, I'd run it with a blower. :thumbs:

Mr. P. :)

I have not personally had experience with FMS cams but their reputation is golden.  Many folks have taken Allan Futral's advice and been very pleased, there's never been a complaint yet so I'm sure you will be happy as well.  As for the numbers on the cam, that is close to what I personally would expect to see in a FI cam, I'd run it with a blower. :thumbs:

and n/a??? just want to make sure.

Alan

i had two cams from them , one was a 212/218 with 115lsa and now i have a 216/222 114 lsa i told him i wanted little more out of this one , i still have it and hav not used it yet, i have a set of heads i was going to do but im trying to build a motor just waiting for a deal on a crank and rods. the two cams i mentioned and the one you have selected are very similar, blower cams usually have 6 degrees split. i wanted a little lope to mine reason beign i went with the 114 lsa but it wont be much and keeo the driveability.

I have not personally had experience with FMS cams but their reputation is golden.  Many folks have taken Allan Futral's advice and been very pleased, there's never been a complaint yet so I'm sure you will be happy as well.  As for the numbers on the cam, that is close to what I personally would expect to see in a FI cam, I'd run it with a blower. :thumbs:

and n/a??? just want to make sure.

Alan

Well on N/A cams I'm not the best to advise because I really like the massive cams! I'm the kind of guy wondering how much converter it would take to put a TRex in my SS... But that FMS cam will make more power, like Chase says you will notice a real improvement (I would guess somewhere in the 400-410rwhp range :dunno: ) but is it the best/optimized NA cam, probably not. However I would say it's probably the best NA grind you can get while still having near factory mileage/economy and would only need a TBTC and still have decent towing behavior too. It's a good truck cam, judging by the numbers. Are you going to get larger injectors?

Edited by misterp (see edit history)

Guys ... Just remember ... The at .50 numbers really dont give you an idea of what the cam really is... So when the cam designer gives you them...dont think you can have another person grind it for you and save money.. The R&d involved in a GREAT cam is pretty extensive.... What kind of lobes does FMS use? Comp, Crane, isky,cam motion...etc...

From what I have heard he makes some nice things...

216/222 .559/.569 115 for me.

I ran this cam N/A as well as blown. I saw nice gains from both.

I dyno'd 350/360 NA with this cam, exhaust, pulleys, CAI, 3000 converter and crappy tuning. Did 14 flat on the 1/4

Blown (8psi) with other mods I know I am doing 500/550 with this cam. Run a 12.2 currently. Its small but blower friendly and a tame idle. I would like to go bigger but I do not think the gains will be HUGE so I am content.

Like H8R stated, there is much more than just the listed specs with a cam choice. All of the geometrys and valve events are critical to each application. :thumbs:

• 2 weeks later...
i emailed allan at futral motorsports with all my info about current and future mods and how currently i am n/a and am going to eventually go f/i and don't want to switch cams once i do. and he gave me these specs that would run on both setups.

214\220-114

Cam and Comp 918 spring kit w\pushrods

thats all he gave me on the grind.any thoughts?

Alan

well im going to scratch that idea and get a different cam grind from allan to optimize my n/a setup for now and get a different cam done for f/i later down the road. i am also planning on heads. i'll post the numbers up when i get em.

Alan

allan gave me 220\222-114+4 .586"\.586" for my n/a setup. sound good? i will be running these with the dart 225 pro ls1 heads. i'll be ordering the cam and push rods.

Alan