I believe I made a decision

r8rs4lf

Well, I've come into quite a little bit of cash unexpectedly this month which is a good thing. I have gone out of my way to not spend this cash on my truck, mods, or anything else. I was considering getting a blower on my SSS, but I just don't think it would be worth it in the long run. My truck runs fine, looks good, and I really don't need to dump any cash into the tranny because we all know that tranny isn't going to last with a blower.

I talked to a partner of mine and he was giving me some advice on what I should do. I don't know if you all know I have a '66 El Camino which has been sitting in my driveway for some time now. It runs fine, looks good enough for me (I love primer), and is a nice little classic car/truck. It has everything parts wise, and very minimal rust which I will eventually take care of.

120404414.jpg

Instead of throwing that cash into a blower for my SSS, I was thinking of getting one of these.

12498772.jpg

It's a GM ZZ383/425 Crate Engine. At Gm Parts Direct, it's priced at $4700.00.

Here are a few specs on it:

Horsepower 425 @ 5400 RPM

Torque 449 @ 4500 RPM

Max. Recommended RPM 6000

Compression Ratio 9.1:1

Partial Engine 12499106

Block 88962516 Four bolt main,

cast iron Crankshaft 12489436 Steel "4340"

Connecting Rods 12497624 PM rods

Pistons.005 O/S 12499103 High silicon aluminum

Piston Rings .005 O/S 12499107

Camshaft 12370846

Cylinder Heads 12464298

Head Gasket 10105117 (.28 thick)

Intake Valves 12555331 2.00"

Exhaust Valves 12551313 1.55"

Valve Springs 12551483

Rocker Arms 12370838 1.5:1 roller rockers kit

Tortional Damper 12498008

Flex Plate 14088765

Lifters 5232720 Flat Tappet

Spark Plugs R 44LTS or R42LTS for racing

Fuel Premium 92 octane or greater

Ignition Timing 32º total @ 3000 RPM with vacuum advance disconnected

This wouldn't be some kind of overnight thing. I definately would need to get a better tranny and rear end that could handle this hp along with a major brake upgrade not to mention everything needed for the motor itself like ignition, intake, pulley system, carb, radiator, etc., etc. Once all that is done, I could live with it for a while until I felt the urge to paint it. NOT!!! :nono::crackup:

So what do you guys think? I'm really an instant gratification kind of person so it would be hard for me to go this route because it will take some time. Not alot of time, but enough. I do really want to have a fast street car/truck and I think this would be the better route than to have a blower installed in the SSS plus I could always take this set up out and install it into an older short bed chevy truck that I've always wanted.

Thought???

Opinions???

What would you do????

TIA

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

350 are cool and can definatly make some good power, it depends what you want out of it . imo i would do a big block 454 or 502 with a healthy cam and leave it at that. , i just love how a big block sounds with a lope.

Well, as a muscle car guy myself, I'd take some of the money and spend it on the el camino. To me, half the fun with a vehicle like this is building it myself and being proud to say that I built it. Just my .02

Tim

Edited by TAR 71 (see edit history)

350 are cool and can definatly make some good power, it depends what you want out of it . imo i would do a big block 454 or 502 with a healthy cam and leave it at that. , i just love how a big block sounds with a lope.

It's a stroker motor chase making somewhere around 425hp. I've thrown around the idea of a big block, but it just wouldn't be practical. There would also be some clearance issues in the El Camino that I have already looked into. I just don't want to have to deal with all that.

well then there you go, just throwing the idea out there, what are the specs on the cam?? doesent sound like to bad of a deal especailly there is a huge aftermakret for 350's, gotta do some cutouts when you fab up the exhaust :devil:

well then there you go, just throwing the idea out there, what are the specs on the cam?? doesent sound like to bad of a deal especailly there is a huge aftermakret for 350's, gotta do some cutouts when you fab up the exhaust  :devil:

Specs:

This hydraulic roller design contains eccentric for mechanical fuel pump. It is for off-road use only. The duration at .050" tappet lift (intake/exhaust) is 222/230; and maximum lift with 1.5:1 rocker ratio (intake/exhaust) is 509/528. Valve lash is zero/zero and lobe centerline is 112 degrees.

Big power, small motor... sounds good... I've got a slightly built 396 (actually a 408) pushing around 425hp and roughly 485tq in my 69 el Camino. getting that out of a small block is pretty impressive... especially a GM crate motor... I would do it... :thumbs:

Big power, small motor... sounds good... I've got a slightly built 396 (actually a 408) pushing around 425hp and roughly 485tq in my 69 el Camino. getting that out of a small block is pretty impressive... especially a GM crate motor... I would do it... :thumbs:

Not to mention the really big plus!!!!!!!!!!

A warranty!!!!! :thumbs:

Edited by r8rs4lf (see edit history)

I think putting the cash in the camino is a great idea.

But.. I would not buy a crate engine for a car like that. I would go to one of the machine shops and have em build me a nice stout 400 small block. For the money you are throwing at that crate engine I could get a nice 400 built around here with iron heads and a good 400 tranny with a stall.

I mean I have been in the scene here and building muscle cars for the last 14 years of my life so I have connections to get that stuff.. but to me.. there is something to be said about a badass 406 or something with a nasty cam that you can hear from 400 feet away that sounds pissed off. Crate motors to me belong in newer cars.. thats just my .02

I look forward to updates as you get the camino done. I have owned 4 of them I still have a soft spot for the trucklets

I think putting the cash in the camino is a great idea.

But.. I would not buy a crate engine for a car like that. I would go to one of the machine shops and have em build me a nice stout 400 small block. For the money you are throwing at that crate engine I could get a nice 400 built around here with iron heads and a good 400 tranny with a stall.

Funny that you should say that! After I read what you posted, I remembered that I saved an issue of Truckin magazine that had an engine builder close to me that I thought I would take a look at when I was ready to take this on. They will build a 383ci "crate" motor making 480hp @ 5,600 rpms, 510 lb-ft torque @ 4,000 rpms for $5500.00.

Here are some of the specs on that motor:

Compression- 9 to 1

Block- (GM 10105123) All new cast iron, four bolt mains with 4.000-inch bore

Crankshaft- 4130 forged 400ci forged steel with nitride-hardened bearing journals 3.750 stroke

Connecting rods- Pro 4340 steel H-beam 6.000

Head chamber size- 64cc

Valve sizes- int. 2.02, ext. 1.60 stainless steel

Rocker arms- Stainless roller rocker arms, 3/8-inch 1.5 ratio

Camshaft lift- int. 0.520, ext. 0.540 hydraulic roller

Camshaft duration- Int. 236 degrees, ext. 242 degrees @ .050

Lobe sepaeration- 110 degrees

Lifters- Hydraulic

Intake manifold- Single plane

MSRP- $5,495.00

that engine sounds more appealing to me alex , espeacially the cam. i woud go with that one.

With all your work on your truck, you might know who they are.

M & R engines in Glendale????

Also, I forgot to mention they break in the motor on their in house Water Brake Dynomometer. After it's broke in they do some power pulls for hp and torque numbers to submit to the owner. :thumbs:

Edited by r8rs4lf (see edit history)

cant say i have heard of them , there are so many engine builder in so cal its ridiculous, i just go from who ever i know has built some good engines. I currently have someone who built the banks engines for a few of their truck working on my new one, im just trying to find a good deal on crank and rods, before i go at it.

the 110 lsa cam will sound very angry though. let us know what youdecide on , id like to see how your project goes.

Edited by 04CHASE (see edit history)