Welding

Black2003SS

I inherited a very nice welder when my grandfather passed away. I believe it is a Lincoln TIG?, possibly arc welder up to 220 amps...it's huge, and old. I think he has had it for 25+ years? Maybe longer. Its in excellent shape and I saw my grandfather use it the year he died back in 2001. My dad and I totally forgot it was at the farm until we started cleaning out his work shop. Its been covered up since 2001. I'm not 100% positive what kind it is or if it needs the welding gas or what not. Like I said, new to welding.

Where do I start? I know it will take some practice and I wont just hop onto a job and do it right the first time. Any good websites or internet material I can rad up on?

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll find out this weekend what type it is. I'm going to pick it up this weekend. My understanding is that it is like a $1,500 welder or something. I'm sure if it needs argon (guess thats the welding gas I was thinking of), my grandad had that and its there, or at least the bottle is. Might just be an arc welder, who knows.

welding is a breeze, its not hard at all. Are you sure its not a stick/tig machine. I have a miller syncrowave and its awsome. a good gas mix is 108 for tig welding or helium is pretty good gas to tig weld stainless with.if ya have any questions let me know, ive been welding for the past 2 years now im not a pro yet but im working on it. where you from anyways. welding is an awsome thing to get into, I got my PA heat treaters pipe cert. my aws d1.1 cert, my aws pipe cert for high pressure gas line, its a fun time.

also if you have problems stick welding like arc blow try changing you angle of the rod your holding it at try moving it like 10 degrees to where you look like you might push the puddle instead of pulling it. also for mig welding it is better to pull your weld than push, you get better penetration pulling than pushing because pushing the weld fills more but pulling is burning it in better

if you have a tech high school next to you go there. i have a tech school next to me and they always offer classes at night. its not like school but classes in which anyone can go to, they have auto repair, welding to cooking. they also have diffrent levels in welding, and once you complete it you get a certificate, i belive the classes are like 1 a week for 8 weeks and run about $250. im thinking about doing it next time they start for metal fab, i have done some welding before(very minor) and it wasnt that hard, but once you work up to softer metals and diffrent welding style i bet it can get hard.

First off no one can teach you how to weld. They can only show you and you have to develope your own techniques because no noe welder welds the same. Also all stick machines are tig machines. All you have to do is use the stinger as a ground and the ground hook it to the rig and your ready to go. Just use straight Argon it will weld stainless and aluminum better than anything I have found. I welded pressure vessels for almost 10 years. 100% X-ray welds, and qualified in mnay exotics involved in code welding.

But can any of you weld in a mirror?

Yes just tell me witch hand you want me to use. When welding pressure vessels I have welded with mirrors, my stinger tied to a broom stick or mig gun the same way having someone turn my machine on and off. Man I can weld a dick on a snowman.