painting with krylon fusion

hi im about to paint my brake ducts and air dam screens with some krylon fusion, and i was wondering if you guys in all your glorious wisdom had any good tips for getting a nice even clean looking job done. i tested it on a good size piece of plastic earlier today(not from the truck), i roughed it up with some 100 grit 3m pad (didnt score it, just roughed it a bit) and then painted a few light coats every 10 or 15 minutes. i didnt get a very even sheen over the plastic, and i got some tiny looking bubbles that ended up drying more glossy than the rest. never seen that before with spray paint. anyways, it may have something to do with the climate - it being 40 degrees and constantly raining washington state is awesome. and i had to do it in an open garage for lack of a better area. any tips would be great. sorry for the long winded-ness...

id get some 1000 grit paper and use it to get the area dull but not rough, imo 100 grit is to aggressive. clean it all of with some acetone( or use some nailpolish remover if you dont have any , do it in a clean ventalated area where the spray will not make any particles fly around. the most sommon thing is when drying it will collect particles and get the little bubbly looking specs on it, if you keep it in a clean area this wont be a problem , might want to also go over tha paint with some clear coat( 3-4 coats) to make last and stay nice n shiney.

id get some 1000 grit paper and use it to get the area dull but not rough, imo 100 grit is to aggressive. clean it all of with some acetone( or use some nailpolish remover if you dont have any , do it in a clean ventalated area where the spray will not make any particles fly around. the most sommon thing is when drying it will collect particles and get the little bubbly looking specs on it, if you keep it in a clean area this wont be a problem , might want to also go over tha paint with some clear coat( 3-4 coats) to make last and stay nice n shiney.

also you said it was cold outside and that could affect the paint, if possible it needs to be warm if you have to do it in the garage you could use a blowdrier to warm the surface. i like to use bulldog adheasion promoter and then prime and paint, then clear coat to bring out the shine. i also like to use the trigger attachment for cans. its all in the wrist. if you spray for too long you'll get a bunch of paint at the nozzle and it will "spit" heavy amounts, so be careful there too. and keep your oily fingers off of the surface once you've cleaned it.

Alan

Edited by wody (see edit history)