emergency help need

hi guys,

3 questions i pray you have answers for since im mid cam swap and can't find reference for this.

1) how do i remove the clutch fan from the water pump assembly?

2) what size pulley puller should i use for this stupid clutch pulley? i was trying a 6" and it's either to big or to small...

3) the only thing left in front of the engine is the air conditioning condenser. i removed the radiator and the tranny cool (i of course broke it trying to figure out the connections... no worries though, im upgrading). do I have to remove this for the cam install or will the cam slide in in front of it? if i have to remove it will i have to refill it?

oh and as a bonus, the ls1 instructions tell me to drop the starter off the back of the motor before I remove the big ol' bolt... is there a reason for this? i mean, i did it but just cant figure out why?

thanks for any help you guys can give! im of course taking lot's of pictures and keeping track of what im doing so ill do a big write up later. im also putting on headers and an e-fan assembly.

cheers!

you can get the fan off by using a big wrench and wackign it with a big hammer , this should beable to knock it lose, you do not need to remove the a/c condensor.

the others i fogot exactly why the starter is reomved.

You need the starter off so you can wedge something in there for the monster torque on that bolt later. You will see what I mean, it needs to be off trust the source. If you throw that damn clutch fan as far as you can and buy yourself some e/fans. If you have not done so get some pen magnets for your lifters now before its too late.

i believe it is left hand... there is a huge nut on there so the large wrench sounds like what I'll try... do i take off just the fan or that round metal thing in front of it too...?? what ends up being left on the water pump after your done?

as for the pen magnets... i got a couple different dowels, 3/8 and 5/16 so im hoping that method works.

thanks for all the tips everyone.. now if i could just get the pulley off! i went and got a puller set that has 3", 6" and 8" pullers... so one of those should work!

cheers!

You may be able to get by without removing the starter for the crank pulley bolt removal. You can use a large screwdriver and push it through the TC access hole on the tranny to "lock" the FP. Just push the screwdriver between the TC and the FP and the handle of the screwdriver will pinch itself on the tranny bell housing. I got by having simply jammed a lug wrench through the crank pulley. :P

HOWEVER, you can't go wrong by doing it by the book :thumbs:

GET sone E-fans it cleans up the front end alot! See pic ;)