Common Mods...

DeeHutch

So, I've been reading around on here a little trying to gather what some of the more common peformance mods for the SS Silvy would be.

Of course CAI and exhaust will be the first performance mods that I do.

I"m on a strict budget for a while until I get adjusted to the new budget. We just had our second daughter and my wife is going to take a year off work, so i'll need to be wise about the initial purchases.

Best CAI for the money? ( I would assume they're all pretty much the same)

I plan on for now just replacing the stock muffler and moving the stock tip to be in front of the rear wheel as opposed to behind it.

Best sound and performance and bang for the buck on a single muffler? (I'm not scared of loudness!)

What can I expect from a tune? (A tune was the next mod on my Impala, but it sold...so I really don't know what to expect from one)

I"ve seen the mention of bigger Injectors......I know this would allow more fuel to be delivered, resulting in HP increase.....Would it also result in quicker throttle response?? I hate the stock response....It seems a little robotic?? Like you're not really in control.....anyone relate to that or am I all alone?? :dunno:

Anyways, try not to hate on me too bad for a ton of questions in one post, but I had to ask!!! Thanks in advance and I promise pics just as soon as the weather clears a bit and I get time to do so. Today was my first day back at work and it is going to be hell for a few weeks.

:pop:

Muffler -- everybody is going to have a different opinion based on sound

Injectors - don't need / won't help unless going with supercharger/turbo

Throttle feel - The truck is a drive by wire and takes on a mind of it's own.

Best CAI - This is very contentious as far as performance, Volant seem to be the most popular.

Tune - Will get you about 30 rwhp

Edited by dancar (see edit history)

c.a.i.- I have Volant and am happy with it and it looks the cleanest of all other systems. IMO

exhaust- I have flowmasters which I dumped and am very happy with the sound but it seems most on here prefer Magnaflows.

Tune- they say 30+ RWHP gains

Injectors I am with Dancar no need unless you have FI

Mine...

CAI - K & N... Its alright, but I have no experience with any others

Muffler - 50 series flowmaster 2 in 2 out. With cutouts before it... I dont always have them open because it it so loud, but the muffle has a really nice tone.

Tune - Running Wheatley..gowheatley.com Very resonable priced and allI can say is that it made my truck come ALIVE!! no times on it yet, but i will in 2 weeks.

Excuse me ignorance, what's "dumped" mean?

I like the cut out idea, I was thinking of doing that to the Impala as well? Are they electirc with a solenoid?

Does the dual IN provide better flow, sound?

I don't really have anything to compare Flowmaster to, that's all I've ever had. I'd like to try something different this go around.

Excuse me ignorance, what's "dumped" mean?

I like the cut out idea, I was thinking of doing that to the Impala as well?  Are they electirc with a solenoid?

Does the dual IN provide better flow, sound?

I don't really have anything to compare Flowmaster to, that's all I've ever had.  I'd like to try something different this go around.

basically the exhaust ends after the muffler. Basically they put a 90 on the end of the muffler and it ends right at the axle. So basically dumped means no tips or any visual of your exhaust system. I prefer this because I have yet to see an exhaust set up that I am in love with but to each his own. Yeah there is a little more cab noise but I like the sound of my exhaust in the cab.

CAI- K&N makes a nice one, I have the 57-series, costs around $200-250

Exhaust - GM Performance Parts Cat Back, you can get the entire kit and the tip

for under $600 (did I mention that it is made by Borla?)

Tune- I went with a Hypertech Power Programmer III, costs around $300-350.

Even though it is a basic tune, you can feel the difference

in performance and you can even check DTCs. If I had

the money I would do a custom tune.

good luck with your decision :chevy:

Well, I mentioned it another post but i'm starting with the exhaust.

I"m doing twin Flowmaster Super 40's with flat black angle tips in front of the rear wheel.

CAI and Tune will come later (probably around spring) as it's time to start catching up on some boat mods.

:D