Gas Mileage

NashSS

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just got back from a trip and fully loaded with the 4 of us and Xmas presents I ran 74-75mph the whole way and got 16.5mpg. On the way out I ran 80-85mph and only got 13.5. Typically I get around 13.5-14 in a mixture of driving. My truck has a radix, exhaust, and a tune. I would think you would do a little better than that. One thing is that I always run 93 octane except when I go out west because just about all you can find is the watered down 91.

Dave

i'm with everyone also.

also use a good injector cleaner often. about 3000 mi. use a couple bottles of lucas or tecron injector cleaner :thumbs: makes a big inprovment on the way the truck runs.

use a good gas, i find that i get better milage with different gas co. ALSO depending on where you live, we get our " winter gas " now and i've lost about 1-1.5 mpg. :mad:

i started to get better mpg. and performance after about 20k mi.

:seeya:

Thats the thing thats gettin me is my truck only has 10K miles on it. Now I could see using seafoam, fuel filter, and stuff like that but I don't have high or even average mileage for my truck so im stuck here? as far as a real tune goes where can I get one? I live in bettendorf, IA so someone help out please

Are you using the DIC to figure milage, or the old fashioned way? Are you resetting the DIC every fill up? I get around 14.5-15 with mixed driving. When I first bought it with 21K miles I used conventional oil. At 31K I switched to synthetic, and picked up 1-1.5 MPG. So it definitely did something. A tune is on my list, and from what I've heard that's the biggest bang for the buck.

Thats the thing thats gettin me is my truck only has 10K miles on it. Now I could see using seafoam, fuel filter, and stuff like that but I don't have high or even average mileage for my truck so im stuck here? as far as a real tune goes where can I get one? I live in bettendorf, IA so someone help out please

as far as the sea foam, fuel filter and stuff, i dont think its so much your mileage but the age of the truck. truck has still been in service for at least 3 years. just like the old addage about 3 months or 3000 miles for every oil change, maybe the same could be said about the fuel system. might actually be harder on it having only put that few miles on it. :dunno:

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone have a recommended tune for my truck. i want to buy something that I can buy and install and wont have send off my pcm for a couple days because its my daily and i must have it everyday to drive. So someone please help

My 2-cents: something basic is wrong with your truck, mine averages 15.0 on the freeway and that's driving at 75-mph with 2" shorter tires! With stock tires the freeway mileage was about 15.7 and on one trip to Albuquerque I flogged the piss out of it averaging 85-mph and still got 14.2-mpg. I would check all the fluids, filters, ignition, etc, like I said the basic mechanical maintenance stuff. Another culprit could be that your torque converter clutch is not engaging in overdrive, but that's a wild guess. It is a remote chance but you could also have a clogged cat.

I'm not a fan of the AEM and Flowmaster, I do not think they are as efficient as other products on the market. Again that's just my opinion...

AFA your question, tonneau covers help mileage a lot; if you don't have a tonneau cover drive with the tailgate up and don't use a cargo net. Use all synthetic lubricants, and I run Mobile-1 0W-30 engine oil rather than 5W-30. Keep stock diameter tires, do not go taller or shorter as it will affect your mileage and make sure that the tire pressure is adequate. Lowering the truck will help freeway mileage by not punching as large a hole in the air. Put the truck on a diet, ditching the spare, buying a BSER roll pan, and getting lighter rims/tires can remove 200+ pounds. Verify the alignment on the truck, even if it is not chewing through tires it could be off enough to cost you a little mileage. Engine specific stuff: get a CAI, quality catback (Corsa, Magnaflow, Borla/GMPP) AND A TUNE and run 91-93 octane; if your tuner supports enabling lean-cruise mode then ask them to do that. Good long-tube headers will also help cruise mileage too, when combined with proper tune. If you want more performance without affecting cruise mileage stick with the factory cam and install a Radix supercharger kit.

I'm sure I'll think of more later...

Mr. P.

Edited by misterp (see edit history)

Awesome where can I find this GMPP/Borla system your talking about because I'm considering buying some borla mufflers for better flow because I know flowmaster isnt known for there flow/performance and also what intake would you recommend? I'm a fan of K&N but am open on ideas for now. Right now I'm trying the shell 93 octane v power and its seems to me so far that my mileage has gone up quite a bit because I'm still at half a tank with about 180 on the tank so far and usually by this time of the week im down to a quarter or less so well see how she stacks up at the end of the tank. Thanks for the info and my truck is going to go into the shop hopefully next weekend or sooner for a oil change and im gonna put in mobil 10w30 like you recommended because im hopping on the throttle quite a bit but not usually to the peak though but I still want her to be protected as best she can because shes my baby and i like her well lubed lol. Also if i do go with some borla mufflers im thinking i might just punch out the cats with some borla muffler would make her sound sweet i think.