Test Drove somthing fromt the DARKSIDE..SS GONE?

H8R

Well, I was cruising in the SSS saturday, and took a glance towards the "DODGE STEALERSHIP" and saw a Black 06 SRT10 Ram Reg cab. So I turned around and wanted to take a closer look.Noticed I really liked the wheel and tire package on these trucks, they fit perfect. The breaks also were very impressive. I was then approached by a salesman ( wearing a Kasey Kahne nascar jacket). He started talking about the truck, and we were both kind of admiring what it had to offer. He asks if I want to take a Test Drive. At first I declined, then he says "Its Free" I already ofcourse knew that, but I got the point he wanted to take a ride in it.

He confirms I know how to drive a Manual, and gets the keys. At first impression the truck feels odd. I leave the parking lot onto a busy highway, and goose it a lil bit. "hmm feels good" I say to myself. The saleman directs me to the the Beltway (695) where we can feel more of what the truck has. Surely I agree with that! So being a saturday morning , the beltway was rather empty. I got a chance to get on it from about a 20mph roll (1st gear) and punch it . Trucks spins a lil bit , but could have been alot worse had I really flogged it. It was more a roll into the throttle then a direct shot to the floorboard! It charged to about 80 mph(speed limit 65). I let off at that point not wanting to make the saleman un-easy and not wanting a ticket on a test drive. I then just do some casual driving , and Realize this damn truck will beat your TEETH out of your head! VERY ROUGH RACE CAR INSPIRED RIDE. Not that bad for a weekend toy but I COULDN'T DEAL WITH IT DAILY!.

Then I start actually taking the truck in as a whole and, the interior seemed even cheaper feeling then that of the GM trucks. The big Bulky console consumes the truck, and I am sure would have alot of rattling with some miles on the vehicle, but It did have great storage compartments! The door panels felt very hard, and the buttons for windows and door locks also felt VERY cheap for a Stickerd 48k truck. I point this out to the salesman, he agrees but says " this truck isnt for plush features and refinements that a luxury truck like the SS Silverado has. I then agree with that statement. I turn up the radio to cover up some of the Drone of the 8.3 l monster.The infinity equipped sound system performed very nice, and the 8 or 10 " subwoofer( not sure on size) nestled between the seats sounded very nice. After a few more miles we gt off on an exit ramp to head back to the lot. I take the turn as fast as I would in the SSS and the truck sticks like a mouse on a Stickey Trap. Very firm and predictable. The SSS would take it at the same speed, but with MUCH more body roll (as it should being a much larger machine that sits higher). We arrive at the Dealership, he asks my opinions, I then tell him that it was nice for a weekend machine but a little to harsh for my intentions! He also tells me they aren't very good for towing much of anything ( I previously told him I towed a Race Car). So, he asks if there are any possiblities of liking the crew cab version. ? I thought about it and said " do you have one HERE? He says NO but I could have you one in a few days. I pass on the offer because I can't commit to buying it and really didnt want to waste this salesman time. IF there were a truck (crew cab) I prob. would have drove it to see how the Auto trans felt and how much the ride would change. But For now the SSS Stays.

Damn GM give me an option for a new SSS.

By the way the salesman did tell me If I wanted it he ASSURES me that they would sell the reg cab for 40,900 . I thought it was a fair price. but had to decline.

So my question for you guys is . Why would they come off the price so quickly?

Are these trucks not selling well? What have you guys seen for prices on these. Just curious as to why a damn near 50k truck would come down that quick( I bet I could have gotten out of the door for under 40k. I thought SRT pricing was very strict? :shakehead:

Guess not.!!!!

no truck is selling well. dealerships will do anything to sell their trucks. with gas prices american car manufacturers are really eating it. if you go to buy any truck or suv, remember to not let them name their price because these chunks of iron are highly negotiable. i got my 06 SS for peanuts. :D

ES :flag:

The fact that it isnt selling well helps plus you mentioned it was an 06 when the 07's are now out and about they are just trying to move it off their lot. I agree with the dodges interior. They look nice on the outside but the inside does look cheap IMO.

They don't make an SRT for the 07 Model year from what the salesman told me.\

:dunno:

That's correct. Just like the SS they don't make them anymore. I looked at one and I liked it but estimated MPG was really bad and those estimates are always high so you know you would be lucky to get 8 MPG :banghead: