oil pressure...

i searched around a bit and didnt find anything that REALLY answered the question that i have.

i bought my truck a couple months back and just did its first oil change. i chose mobil 1 5w-30 full syn. combined with a mobil 1 filter. after install i let it idle for a while and then drove it around town. at idle the truck sits at 40lbs of pressure. and when i gave it wot it jumped (and maxed out) at 80lbs. btw this is in 32-40 deg. weather. after this i pulled over and checked my oil and realized it was quart low. (should have read the manual). could this be the issue?? or is there no issue at all? i never payed attention to the oil pressure gauge before.

1 MORE THING- since i am a quart low, would it be "GOOD" to use slick 50 to replace the quart, or just go ahead and use another quart of mobil 1?

thanks guys!

not an expert on oil viscosity and such but i dont think that 5-30 or 10-30 is going to make the oil pressure change that much at all.

on a side note, im not in the habit of looking down at my cluster when im going 70 in second gear like mr. p. i might have 80psi too. :dunno:

on a side note, im not in the habit of looking down at my cluster when im going 70 in second gear like mr. p.  i might have 80psi too.  :dunno:
:lol: That's right I don't even look out the front window, I just concentrate on the tach - the tach tells me how I'm doing! :jester:

Mr. P. :)

that seems like normal oil pressure to me... mine does the same thing

not an expert on oil viscosity and such but i dont think that 5-30 or 10-30 is going to make the oil pressure change that much at all.

It can make a difference.... I changed the oil in a 96 chevy 5.7L, and i went from a 5-30 to a 10-40 and the oil pressure dropped from 40psi at idle to around 20psi, it also resolved the lifter knock the engine developed after 160,000 miles :D

well at least im not the only one. i was kinda worried there. what about running the slick 50 for the quart i'm  missing?? or should i just go ahead and put in another quart of mobil one??

Just put in another quart of Mobil 1. Don't mess with Slick 50. I may get flamed, but it seems that it is more harmful than good, in my experience.

on a side note, im not in the habit of looking down at my cluster when im going 70 in second gear like mr. p.  i might have 80psi too.   :dunno:
:lol: That's right I don't even look out the front window, I just concentrate on the tach - the tach tells me how I'm doing! :jester:

Mr. P. :)

What a wacky guy. :crackup::crackup: