Werid noise in the fornt

I have a 2003 AWD with 35K on it. I'm getting a weird noise in the front of my SSS. Its only when I turn the steering wheel while moving. I know it’s not the brakes but sounds like a internal low noise, like the CV joint has no grease in it, but last time I change the oil. I when over the truck and added a few pumps to all the grease fittings. The only thing I could of done is missed one on each size that I didn’t see. Help!!

Def. sounds like diff. bearing(s).

Mine started groaning @ about 40K and I drove it that way until last week ... truck now has about 61K on it.

Diff. bearings aren't a cheap job (Mine right now is close to $1,000) ... get it done under warranty while you can!

Def. sounds like diff. bearing(s).

Mine started groaning @ about 40K and I drove it that way until last week ... truck now has about 61K on it.

Diff. bearings aren't a cheap job (Mine right now is close to $1,000) ... get it done under warranty while you can!

Is the $1,000 what the dealer charged you to fix it? I've got the same problem I'm guessing and I hate to drop $1K on this. How long will the fix last?

Is the $1,000 what the dealer charged you to fix it? I've got the same problem I'm guessing and I hate to drop $1K on this. How long will the fix last?

Actually, I bought the extended warranty from GM when I bought the truck ... so it's a GM warranty, but gives me the freedom to get the repairs done wherever I want.

I took mine to my trusted independent mechanic, and he set it up better than the dealer would. He has a buddy that is a GM tech that said that all they do @ the dealer is replace the bearings and slap it back together. They don't check pre-load or anything.

So ... my buddy took my front diff. out, and did a complete teardown. He found that one of the locking tabs for the pre-load had busted ... and got ground up inside the diff. When this happened the bearing on the load side started walking out ... and that's what caused it to wear out and make noise.

So, he rebuilt the whole diff. All new bearings, carrier and pinion, new fluid, and he set a higher pre-load on the side that wore out so that it would have less chance of happening again.

To answer your question ... how long will it last? I dunno, I guess depends on where you take the truck, and who you trust to do differential work.

My final ticket was like $1,100 ... so ... you might not want to pay the money, but it should probably be fixed.

Just my $.02 Good Luck!

I don't have any friends to do a tear town so I guess I'll have to look around for a good shop. If I can get it fixed once and be done with then I'd be happy to keep the truck. Otherwise I'll be looking for a new vehicle in a couple years. I really don't want to get rid of my ss but I don't want to be fixign the same problem over and over.

I don't have any friends to do a tear town so I guess I'll have to look around for a good shop. If I can get it fixed once and be done with then I'd be happy to keep the truck. Otherwise I'll be looking for a new vehicle in a couple years. I really don't want to get rid of my ss but I don't want to be fixign the same problem over and over.

I agree. :thumbs: