How Common is Front Diff Failure?

Just joined your forum and have been reading about the front differential problems on the SS. I knew of this problem because my Dad has a 02 Yukon Denali and it had a front Diff go out on him at about 50k and it now has the howl or whine as some call it. Well now I'm looking to buy a truck and a SS is a definite possibility. Im just wondering how common is front diff problems? 25% 50% 75 %?

Is looking for a SS that has had a replaced front diff a good thing? Any help would be great

Thanks

i think the main thing is don't jump to conclusions. this site may lead some people to believe there is a problem when there really isn't. just make sure there really is an issue and you're not just telling yourself there is a problem. its all in the head.......sometimes.

i think the main thing is don't jump to conclusions. this site may lead some people to believe there is a problem when there really isn't. just make sure there really is an issue and you're not just telling yourself there is a problem. its all in the head.......sometimes.

exactly....I catch myself listening for stuff all the time....and I need help for my problem and I don't even have a problem!!!

If you poke around on here, you'll see several posts about front diff. issues. It's a common problem on SS's, Escalades, Yukon's, Denalis, etc. Pretty much all the vehicles w/ the AWD system ...

Other issue that I have heard about, but haven't seen alot of info. on is the transfer cases going bad on the AWD system. :banghead:

Just joined your forum and have been reading about the front differential problems on the SS. I knew of this problem because my Dad has a 02 Yukon Denali and it had a front Diff go out on him at about 50k and it now has the howl or whine as some call it. Well now I'm looking to buy a truck and a SS is a definite possibility. Im just wondering how common is front diff problems? 25% 50% 75 %?

Is looking for a SS that has had a replaced front diff a good thing? Any help would be great

Thanks

I remember hearing more 6.0 piston slap than there were front dif failures working at the stealership. Regular service is CRUCIAL to the longevity of the AWD components on these or any 4x4s.

I remember hearing more 6.0 piston slap than there were front dif failures working at the stealership. Regular service is CRUCIAL to the longevity of the AWD components on these or any 4x4s.

when you say regular service...whats that consisting of and how often?