SS is misfiring, and the dealer is lying

i just rechecked the plug wires.. 1 and 3 were loose.. very loose. I pulled the metal socked thru the rubber boot to adjust it and its way out of whack. i adjusted it as best I can, but those two wires are bad. after this, i re ran the truck, i got a solid SES light, and now I can see the engine surging just a bit at idle 500 RPM looks like it will surge to about 600 RPM.. not a ton, but you can notice it.

I put a load on it on an empty side street, and the SES flashed. I got off the gas, and it went solid again... but when I had it under load, it didnt feel like it was chugging.

it would be nice to be able to walk in to a parts store and just buy 2 wires.. but no, i gotta buy all 8

65 bucks for a whole set here

http://replacement.autopartswarehouse.com/...e%20Set&dp=true

Edited by Bonj87 (see edit history)

My SES light was doing the same thing under a load and i had a horriable sound comeing out from under my truck. dealer said it was the fuel pump going out and the sound was the cats (they are burnt out). $450 for the fuel pump and $250 to install. I installed it myself to save the cash but ran into problems, you need some sort of tool to undo the quick connects( i used a couple of screwdrivers and a pair of plyers to disconnect it. Changeing my cats out under the 8 yr 80,000 warnt. best of luck hope you can get it.

My SES light was doing the same thing under a load and i had a horriable sound comeing out from under my truck. dealer said it was the fuel pump going out and the sound was the cats (they are burnt out). $450 for the fuel pump and $250 to install. I installed it myself to save the cash but ran into problems, you need some sort of tool to undo the quick connects( i used a couple of screwdrivers and a pair of plyers to disconnect it. Changeing my cats out under the 8 yr 80,000 warnt. best of luck hope you can get it.

these would be the tools you needed.

ac-fuel-line-disconnect-tool-set-lis37000.jpg

honestly, that price sounds reasonable. That is what a dealer needs to charge. most other shops will probably be in the 150 to 175 range. the duralast wires are junk get rid of them. the dealer isn't ripping you off, autozone ripped you off. :confused::chevy:

by the way, you can buy individual wires. it would cost you more than what a whole set is though.

My friend and I changed the plug wires on his 5.3 silverado and after a month or so he got a ses light and a miss under power, but after two minutes of looking at it while running you could hear a loose plug wire ticking from it arcing out instead of making a good contact. We followed the noise to the right plug that was ticking pushed it on tight and it was all good. You should listen to it while its running and listen for a tick, This might help.