help me choose my next gun

Holty

Hello everyone! I'm doing my research on purchasing my next pistol. My wife agreed to buy me one for valentine's day which is coming up next month and i want to be a well informed consumer. I'm looking for a 9mm concealed carry and have narrowed my choices down to either the Glock G26 or the Springfield Armory XD sub-compact. I already own a Sig P220 for home defense in .45ACP., and is too large (IMO) for concealed carry. I've gone to the local gun stores and held both guns numerous times and LOVE them both. I really can't decide which one i like. Which gun will have the lightest trigger pull?, as that is a concern for me. I like to have a light trigger pull. Magazine capacity is not really a concern for me. Night sites would be nice and a grip extension will probably be the only accesories i'll be adding. Maybe the extended slide release for the glock though. Can you guys give me your opinoins? why should i buy glock over SD or vice versa? thanks!

please only these two models are the only ones i'm considering. thanks!

I've never shot the Springfield, but it looks nice. Alot like the Glock, but seems to have an additional safety in the grip, somewhat like the Colt 1911. This is a good thing.

I have 3 Glocks. They are great guns....excellent for concealed carry, although I no longer elect to do so.

I would not worry nor mess with the trigger pull. As a carry piece, god forbid should the time come where you need to use it, it will not matter. Only my opinion.

With either choice I would definitely get the extension. The Glock is very small, and the SA looks similar in size without the extension. I would also be sure to get the night sites. When making the decision to carry a firearm full-time, you should always take measures to ensure that you have the best possible tools for all environments.

The Glock is a quality firearm, and I'm sure the XD is as well, being that it's a Springfield.

Good luck in your decision.

My next gun purchase will be the Springfield. That is the one that I would buy. I'm just not really a Glock fan. I know you said you didn't want any other opinions, but what about the Glock 19? I have read many, many reviews from people who have said it's a good gun and small for carry. I'd also consider getting the Sig 239 as well. Sorry, I just love how Sigs feel in my hand! :D

On another note, it looks like you got bit huh? :crackup:

Edited by r8rs4lf (see edit history)

i have the xd 4inch in .45 acp and absolutely love it!! 12 rd mag, safety in the grip, u can drop the mag from both sides, bullet in the chamber indicator, "cocked" indicator, GID sights, DA trigger, lightweight, easy take down, nice accessories. and when u buy the pistol SA automatically gives u a case, paddle holster, 2 mags, cleaning kit, and gun lock. and i'm pretty sure it won pistol of the year last year. i mean what more could you want? get the XD and never look back. i know on the 45acp you can get a 4inch with a standard grip w/a mag that holds 9 rnds. and it comes w/an extension for the extra 3 rnds, yet the grip stays the same, just extended around 1 1/2in. i opted for the .45 that came standard with the 12 rnd grip & mag. not really lookin for a "sub". but thats me. if i could go back i'd prolly get the 5inch tactical.

g/l my friend. i'm sure u'll be happy with either!

jake

Hey Holty ...

When it comes to this, I don't personally know what I would get. The Springfield, I will admit, I know nothing about. The glock on the otherhand, I use in a "Daily" capacity.

I have a Glock 22 (.40 cal) ... This is one nice gun. Really fits the hand well. I've been issued my new glock for about 5 years now. I qualify twice a year, and shoot on my own, about 3 times a year. So basically, about 1000-1200 rounds a year go through it. I have never had a problem. It has never jammed or misfired ... (Plus I am anal on keeping it clean, which does help in keeping proper firing.) Speaking of cleaning. Glocks are extremely easy to disassemble. Only 4 major parts to clean. I do like the safety on the Glock. An internal trigger safety. So when you need it, it is ready to go. You can't forget to take it off ...

Nightsights are a must, I think ... Get a set of the Trijicon Nightsights. ($90.00)

Grip extension ... being such a small gun, the Grip extension is a nice add on, plus you can get an Extension with a +1 (extra round)

Ported/Compensated barrels ... This is a personal choice. I really don't like them. A gun like this doesn't kick at all, along with have a Muzzle flash at nighttime, screws up your night vision. (Don't think the G26 or G27 come that way, I don't know about the Springfield)

Personally, I would go with the Glock 27 ... .40 cal, little more power. Unless you already have a 9mm, then the cost of ammo can go down, with the amount you buy.

Anything else ... Just ask

I'm sporting a Glock .40 22, its a nice peice, but the accuracy is less than acceptable for me... the factory sights suck but it has the knock down power I need. (I'm an avid hunter in bear country, only had to use it once on a bear.) :thumbs:

Hello everyone! I'm doing my research on purchasing my next pistol. My wife agreed to buy me one for valentine's day which is coming up next month and i want to be a well informed consumer. I'm looking for a 9mm concealed carry and have narrowed my choices down to either the Glock G26 or the Springfield Armory XD sub-compact. I already own a Sig P220 for home defense in .45ACP., and is too large (IMO) for concealed carry. I've gone to the local gun stores and held both guns numerous times and LOVE them both. I really can't decide which one i like. Which gun will have the lightest trigger pull?, as that is a concern for me. I like to have a light trigger pull. Magazine capacity is not really a concern for me. Night sites would be nice and a grip extension will probably be the only accesories i'll be adding. Maybe the extended slide release for the glock though. Can you guys give me your opinoins? why should i buy glock over SD or vice versa? thanks!

please only these two models are the only ones i'm considering.  thanks!

the glock is a tremendous weapon. light, fast, accurate and easy to maintain. i would def. go with the glock

ES :flag:

a good read...especially like this part:

"The .45 ACP is a recognized manstopper, and there are many excellent loads in this caliber."

thats why i cary it. i really like the kimber 1911 models too. in .45 of course.