Exhaust question

Kent's SS

As with any of the mods available for our wonderful trucks (or any vehicle for that matter) I am finding myself with more and more questions the more I read the forums! :confused:

I have a stock exhaust on my 06 SSS. The only real performance mod I have is a K&N CAI. I am looking at getting a tune but am thinking that an exhaust system may be best to get first and then get the tune.

What my question is though is what exhaust is best for someone that is looking for a somewhat deeper and throaty growl but does not want to have the really loud reverbarating, rattle the neighbor's windows, type of exhaust. Don't get me wrong, that is really cool but I have to keep my truck somewhat domestic so that my fiance won't mind when I come in and out of the driveway! :D

I'd like something more noticeable than the stock system but nothing that will get me pulled over. It would also be nice to not have much additional cab noise if possible.

I have read that the Corsa exhaust systems are awesome but are really loud. Almost the same for MagnaFlow. I have read that some owners have the GM PP cat-backs but didn't really get a sense as to how loud they are.

Any suggestions for someone just looking for a nicer sounding exhaust that will attract some extra attention without being too obnoxious?

Thanks everybody!

i'd say its pretty much between corsa and magnaflow on this site. im going to run two magnaflow mufflers with a x pipe along with my longtubes. i know some people prefer the tone of magnaflow over corsa cuz they say corsa is too raspy.

What have you guy's found to be a reasonable price for the MagnaFlow systems?

I still want to keep the original side exit exhaust. I found MagnaFlow system 15838 on eBay for around $550. Is this a reason price?

Also, is the MagnaFlow REALLY loud? That is my biggest concern. I just want some nice grumbling but nothing really annoyingly loud.

Thanks for your opinions!

honestly i would just buy the muffler you want and have an exhaust shop fab up the pipe or if you're a do it yourselfer then you could do it. where do you want your tip(s)? no magnaflow isn't VERY loud........cutouts are. thats why i have my cutouts un-capped all the time.

Edited by wody (see edit history)

Corsa touring is not very loud.. the sport is the louder of the two and the more you do to the truck the louder anything gets.. headers ditching the cats ect.. just makes it louder and louder..

The magnaflow system with the secondary resonators is a fairly mild system in my opinion quiet enough to be respectable around town but when you get on it, it has a nice growl.

I have both versions of corsa.. right now running the touring muffler to quiet my truck up as much as I can. But I am in the process of possibly selling my headers so if that happens and I go back to stock cats and a diffrent header.. I will use the sport muffler again. I have never gotten pulled over for sound it really just depends when you jump on it and who's around.

i'd say its pretty much between corsa and magnaflow on this site. im going to run two magnaflow mufflers with a x pipe along with my longtubes. i know some people prefer the tone of magnaflow  over corsa cuz they say corsa is too raspy.

throw some longtubes on there with the corsa sport and its sounds aggressive as hell! :thumbs:

honestly i  would just buy the muffler you want and have an exhaust shop fab up the pipe or if you're a do it yourselfer then you could do it. where do you want your tip(s)? no magnaflow isn't VERY loud........cutouts are. thats why i have my cutouts un-capped all the time.

Good point... I was actually thinking about this after looking at the MagnaFlow site and such. I wondered if a muffler only replacement would help out any in terms of both sound and performance. I may check into this.

Can you buy just the MagnaFlow mufflers? or do you have to get the complete system? Or do you (anybody) recommend a specific muffler?

Thanks for all the great suggestions!

I've read a few good things about flowmaster as well.

Question: Would replacing just the muffler on an otherwise stock exhaust system still provide improved sound and some performance gains? Is the factory piping really restrictive on air flow or is most of the restriction from the factory muffler?

What are the exact muffler part numbers for the either the MagnaFlow, Flowmaster, or other brand mufflers for an 06 SSS?

All good things to know. Man.... I'm really learning a lot in here! I'm no gear head by any means so some of this goes right over my head but I am starting to understand more and more.

I love SILVERADOSS.COM!

Find a Dual 2 3/4" in by 3" Out Magnaflow and have a local shop adapt it to your current system.

Here is a 2 3/4 x 3"...#14592. List Price is $275.00

14592.jpg

Here is the one I have lying in the garage.

AUT_5286.jpg

AUT_5287.jpg

Edited by AUTOGUY (see edit history)

Find a Dual 2 3/4" in by 3" Out Magnaflow and have a local shop adapt it to your current system.

Here is a 2 3/4 x 3"...#14592. List Price is $275.00

14592.jpg

that is perfect :thumbs: if you want the single side exit or if you want dual, there has to be one with the same demensions.

Edited by wody (see edit history)

You could try a flowmaster, that is what I'm looking at getting. Here are some sound clips:

http://www.flowmastermufflers.com/mufflers.html

i've got the 40 series dumped under the bed, it sounds really aggressive sounding inside as well as outside the vehicle, it'll definitely wake up the neighborhood, but i'm about to run a true dual magnaflow setup, i heard they flow better, but i'm hopin they'll be what everyone has them cracked up to be