Carry an Extra

Thought I would share what happen to me today.

I live in Michigan and we had snow flurries and 28 degree temps. I left one of my project sites and was headed back to the office wen I start feeling a weird vibration. After a minute the vibration went away but the DIC was flashing Battery Not Charging. I mmediately knew what happened. I blew a belt.

Luckily, I carry a spare. I didn't have any tools but managed to get it on. It was a cold MOFO out and I was really thankful that I had the spare. I had it on and back on the road withing 5 minutes.

I went to the parts store tonight and bought another belt and put an old ratchet handle in my truck for next time. I'll be totally prepared next time.

This is the first time I have had any belt problems. I also changed the tensioner while I was at it tonight, I picked up one made by Carquest. It looks like the Goodyear tensioner. I had to drill the hole bigger in the bracket that the tensioner bolts to, but that was an easy task.

Anyway, If you don't currently carry a spare belt, I recomend getting one.

I live in Michigan and we had snow flurries and 28 degree temps.  I left one of my project sites and was headed back to the office wen I start feeling a weird vibration.  After a minute the vibration went away but the DIC was flashing Battery Not Charging.  I mmediately knew what happened. I blew a belt.

Luckily, I carry a spare. I didn't have any tools but managed to get it on. It was a cold MOFO out and I was really thankful that I had the spare. I had it on and back on the road withing 5 minutes.

I went to the parts store tonight and bought another belt and put an old ratchet handle in my truck for next time. I'll be totally prepared next time.

This is the first time I have had any belt problems.    I also changed the tensioner while I was at it tonight, I picked up one made by Carquest. It looks like the Goodyear tensioner.  I had to drill the hole bigger in the bracket that the tensioner bolts to, but that was an easy task.

How in the hell did you get that on without any tools? It must have been harder than a bitch! I cant even imagine.

I live in Michigan and we had snow flurries and 28 degree temps.  I left one of my project sites and was headed back to the office wen I start feeling a weird vibration.  After a minute the vibration went away but the DIC was flashing Battery Not Charging.  I mmediately knew what happened. I blew a belt.

This is the first time I have had any belt problems.    I also changed the tensioner while I was at it tonight, I picked up one made by Carquest. It looks like the Goodyear tensioner.  I had to drill the hole bigger in the bracket that the tensioner bolts to, but that was an easy task.

How in the hell did you get that on without any tools? It must have been harder than a bitch! I cant even imagine.

yes that's a very good idea. I just threw a tensioner on sunday..... that makes two for me

The great thing about carrying a spare belt is it almost garrantees you won't need it !  I have carried a spare for 50,000 miles and never needed it :D
Ain't that how it always goes :lol:

At what mileage should the tensioner be replaced :confused:

Mr. P. :)