Camshaft opinions needed - GT11 inside

What do you guys think of this cam and a set of Dart 225 heads on a stock block?

Says it makes 500hp in an LS2? What are your thoughts? Low 13's from the stock block with my mods in sig? I'm also thinking of a 408-427 now instead of forced induction. I have seen jsut too many mills melted/blown with forced induction (above and beyond the out of the box forced induction packages, like smaller pulley's, more boost, etc.) for my taste and I know I can get 50k+ miles out of one. I might go with AFR heads, but I'm not 100% positive yet.

215/231

.631/.644 w 1.7 rocker

118.0 CL

http://www.lingenfelter.com/store/ls1-gt11.html

i got this response back from jeff myers from lingenfelter with some info on their cam as well as the futral custom grind. good info on both but i did tell allan that i was going to run the dart 225's so i would imagine that he kept that in mind when he gave me those numbers. sorry for the jack but it did have some info on the gt11 too.

Alan

________________________________________________________________________________

Thank you for inquiring with Lingenfelter. Hard to say how the Gt11 stacks up against the cam you specified pending the overall combination. Chances are, the 220/222 is designed with the stock heads in mind. The GT-11 grind, is made to complement ported heads, and I would not suggest installing in an engine without. The 220/222 with the 114+4 will undoubtedly be a rougher/lumpier idle, and you will sacrifice some bottom end power, but will move the powerband and raise overall power. The GT11 will probably prove to have a flatter torque curve and come on earlier in the power range, and taper off a touch sooner on the top.

Purely speculating on results based on what I have seen.

Jeff Myers

Lingenfelter Performance Engineering

1557 Winchester Rd

Decatur, IN 46733

260.724.2552 x 1004

260.724.8761 fax

Yeeeah.. diffrent valve springs.. are going to be needed for sure.

And more extensive tuning than you would expect.. and I don't know that you would like that idle all that much.

And with a cam that big your gas mileage is going to be in the toilet.. remember the more air you move.. the more fuel you need.. its how efficent it moves it is what makes it good mileage and good driveablity.

Lingenfelters reply to my question about the GT11 camshaft. I think if they just wanted to sell me a camshaft, they would have recommended something else rather than take the time to say the GT11 would be good for my application. I like their honesty about the radix kit. :crackup:

Thank you for inquiring with Lingenfelter. Sounds like you need some torque! To be fair, the magnuson was not designed to do what many are doing with it. Many are trying meth or water injection and underdriving the front, and overdriving the rear above its safe limits. Its kind of like trying to filling a bucket with a coffee cup instead of using another bucket. Its a fixed displacement, and just can't move more volume with the demand. For the stock engines, they are nearly as perfect a bang for the buck setup you can get. We have done over 400 on trucks and cars since 01, and they have been a very reliable setup.

Non the less, the GT11 will go very well for your application. I can't say how the Dart heads will do with the GT11, but I am assuming well. For how you describe you use the truck, I am sure you will be very happy with the GT11.

Edited by Black2003SS (see edit history)

I have GT2-3 lying around somewhere already...doubt it will be necessary though. I plan on running the blower through the summer and then next winter build a 427, sell the blower, and keep the stock mill as a back up...

The other funny part is it did take them about what? Two weeks to reply to me?

Edited by Black2003SS (see edit history)

• 3 weeks later...

This cam actually worked out pretty good for me. It is the current cam in my Race car with a f2r procharger. It is VERY drivable. the 118LS helps with low end drivability. We take it all over the place and drive the car to every track we go to. at 26lbs of boost on the 408 it hits 1113 hp. Ive givin tons of rides to people that come to visit and they can all vouch for how daily driveable it is. Well, as long as the boost controller stays open. :) NA on the same engine with that cam and 8.75compression, it hit 517hp.

Changing your heads or the amount they flow also is in a way the same as what you are doing by changing your cam shaft. It messes with the amount of flow going thru the engine.