D1 Procharger Tuning

I need help!! I have a 2005 with a D1 procharger/intercooler, 42 lb injectors, headers, fuel pressure-boost gauges. I am experiencing intermittent pinging at about 5000rpm in second gear. Also at times the engine will have irregular idle and at times will die at idle. The truck has been tuned numerous times by 2 different mechanics( First mechanic was terrible resulting in a blown motor) Please help me!

I need help!! I have a 2005 with a D1 procharger/intercooler, 42 lb injectors, headers, fuel pressure-boost gauges. I am experiencing intermittent pinging at about 5000rpm in second gear. Also at times the engine will have irregular idle and at times will die at idle. The truck has been tuned numerous times by 2 different mechanics( First mechanic was terrible resulting in a blown motor) Please help me!

Who tuned it? With that kind of pinging I think you are running out of fuel. That is right about where it peaks boost I am guesing.. you might not have enough fuel injector.. what pump are you running?

I need a bit more info.... it sounds to me its 2 things tuning and the fuel.

Who tuned it? With that kind of pinging I think you are running out of fuel. That is right about where it peaks boost I am guesing.. you might not have enough fuel injector.. what pump are you running?

I need a bit more info.... it sounds to me its 2 things tuning and the fuel.

Thanks for the reply, a procharger dealer has been trying to tune the truck in fort collins CO- The fuel pump is stock but neither mechanic has said a word about changing the pump- detonation is occurring at aprox 5500rpm

What part of the country are you located? Definately don't beat on it untill it's fixed and tuned correctly. How much boost are you running? What fuel pressure are you seeing at 5500? Give us some more details so we can help you out.

Dave

Thanks for reply- i live in Fort Collins CO- boost will range from about 8- 10 psi. Fuel pressure is about 60psi at hard load (stock fuel pump) Pinging will start at about 5000 rpm although first gear will not ping- when the truck is ready to shift into 3rd motor goes crazy-

Holy crap. Are you using an FMU?

The fuel pump is out of volume defintely.... you should have changed out to an intank 255 lph pump.

Do you have access to HP tuners software? I think if you change the pump out and get me the tune we can get you fixed up. I am a little far from you right now to see it in person or help tune in person but I think if you can get me a tune via email we can work on it. You are definltey running it lean. Your altitude is a huge factor especially if you have any kind of addtional fuel management aka an FMU

Holy crap. Are you using an FMU?

The fuel pump is out of volume defintely.... you should have changed out to an intank 255 lph pump.

Do you have access to HP tuners software? I think if you change the pump out and get me the tune we can get you fixed up. I am a little far from you right now to see it in person or help tune in person but I think if you can get me a tune via email we can work on it. You are definltey running it lean. Your altitude is a huge factor especially if you have any kind of addtional fuel management aka an FMU

Thanks for reply, I am woking on the pump install now, but where do I get one of these FMU'S? Brand? Cost? and how do I go about getting the HP tuner? Thanks for any help(Im not to much of a motor head)

How are they tuning your truck now???

What software????

Hptuners.com is where you can find it..

and I would defintely not recomend an FMU you need the correct injectors and pump.. Do you know what injectors you have?

The FMU is just a temporary fix its not really that reliable.

and I would defintely not recomend an FMU you need the correct injectors and pump.. Do you know what injectors you have?

I agree with Rev, he knows his stuff.

I had to switch to 60lb injectors. I also run a 255 in-tank pump. (and that is with only a P1SC)

What software????

I appreciate your reply - right now I have 42lbs injectors- will that be sufficient with a new fuel pump?

yup you are good up to about 9 psi with that pump and injectors.

Thanks for the info- sometimes the boost will near 10 psi in second gear-Still ok? also i looked at hp tuners website - it does not specify vehicle just gm is this correct? also what does it mean by " can tune up to 3-4 vehicles"? Do I need just the standard tuner?Can I use this tuner as many times as needed or is there like a "time limit" on it? Also is this something that I could do myself or should a mechanic do this or is there a possibility that you would be able to give me some of the info/ guidlines of where certain limits should be. Any more info would be greatly appreciated -Thank You

What software????

I appreciate your reply - right now I have 42lbs injectors- will that be sufficient with a new fuel pump?

I am not sure what program my mechanic is using but the cost of it was only $175.00 so i am assuming it is not a great tuner- He tunes it by driving it and making asjustments- As far as I know there is no dyno around long enough to fit the all wheel drive. Know of any other way?