I don't like how I run at 30mph

mha

Not that anybody really enjoys running 30, but it is something we all have to do from time to time. Tough to put into good descriptive words, but I've got a slight lunge, miss, bog, hesitation knid of thing going at low throttle, low speeds. Thought it needed air and the AirAid helped but didn't solve. Letting her eat she does just fine but 0 -30 in the neighborhood the 5.3 is much smoother and responds with less effort. Do I have a bad plug, bad program or some other problem that has been seen before? Am I alone? Is the common? Have you guys got the solution for me? Thanks

FG - it's when the tranny get's a little confused...

The last vehicle I had that did this, was an '86 Chevy Celebrity. :) (I think it was with 3rd/OD though)

Say you're going 35-40mph. The vehicle decides it wants to lock the torque converter. It does, and your RPM's drop a bit. The computer then decides that those RPM's are too low for this speed in lockup, so it unlocks. The RPM's go back up.... and the cycle repeats.

FG - it's when the tranny get's a little confused...

The last vehicle I had that did this, was an '86 Chevy Celebrity. :)  (I think it was with 3rd/OD though)

Say you're going 35-40mph.  The vehicle decides it wants to lock the torque converter.  It does, and your RPM's drop a bit.  The computer then decides that those RPM's are too low for this speed in lockup, so it unlocks.  The RPM's go back up.... and the cycle repeats.

I've noticed this a lot lately. I'll be going let's say, 65mph on the freeway. I give it a little gas, it feels like it downshifts, the RPM's go up a little, though I get hardly any power out of this exercise. Then I goose it a little more and I finally drop out of 4th, into 3rd. Depending on what speed I'm going (or so it seems), it may even go into 2nd - though this is a different problem that I also find very irritating. Sometimes I give it gas all the way to the floor and it won't go into 2nd - it drops into 3rd and bogs down there...ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ in third, until I finally get up in the RPM's and am able to get some more speed.

I guess I'll see if the new Superchips program that gets installed with my Radix next week changes things............ :D:D:D:D:D

I've noticed this a lot lately. I'll be going let's say, 65mph on the freeway. I give it a little gas, it feels like it downshifts, the RPM's go up a little, though I get hardly any power out of this exercise. Then I goose it a little more and I finally drop out of 4th, into 3rd. Depending on what speed I'm going (or so it seems), it may even go into 2nd - though this is a different problem that I also find very irritating. Sometimes I give it gas all the way to the floor and it won't go into 2nd - it drops into 3rd and bogs down there...ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ in third, until I finally get up in the RPM's and am able to get some more speed.

I guess I'll see if the new Superchips program that gets installed with my Radix next week changes things............ :D:D:D:D:D

Good to see you're getting blown :thumbs: However, don't look for the superchips programmer that comes with the Radix to do anything for you in the area of the transmission. You will have NO normal options that come with the programmer available to you for one thing, and lastly, the shifting under superchips program shifts like a caddy it's so soft. Even under full throttle. Start looking at a corvette or billet servo, would be my advice.

I've noticed this a lot lately.  I'll be going let's say, 65mph on the freeway.  I give it a little gas, it feels like it downshifts, the RPM's go up a little, though I get hardly any power out of this exercise.  Then I goose it a little more and I finally drop out of 4th, into 3rd.  Depending on what speed I'm going (or so it seems), it may even go into 2nd - though this is a different problem that I also find very irritating.  Sometimes I give it gas all the way to the floor and it won't go into 2nd - it drops into 3rd and bogs down there...ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ in third, until I finally get up in the RPM's and am able to get some more speed.

I guess I'll see if the new Superchips program that gets installed with my Radix next week changes things............ :D  :D  :D  :D  :D

Good to see you're getting blown :thumbs: However, don't look for the superchips programmer that comes with the Radix to do anything for you in the area of the transmission. You will have NO normal options that come with the programmer available to you for one thing, and lastly, the shifting under superchips program shifts like a caddy it's so soft. Even under full throttle. Start looking at a corvette or billet servo, would be my advice.

So what does the program do?

FG, that kinda just sounds like the converter unlocking on the first kick, an then like you said, into third on the second bump.

I know there is a certain speed that will no longer allow you to kick back down into second. I'll bet you were just a hair above that at the time you get this? (I definitely know what you're talking about, I caught it a few times too... Always at the worst time! I'm like, "go truck... GO.")

The lock/unlock problem is a pretty rapid thing that'll usually give you the cold sweats when you first experience it. I really don't think any newer vehicles do this.. it was all of the early lockup-converter cars.

Archived