Putting a magnet on your oil pan?

06redSSrwd

I was told by someone recently that putting a magnet on your oil pan is good thing to do because it holds all the metal shavings at the bottom. when you go to change your oil just take it off so that the metal chippings can flow out with the old oil. Haven't tried it yet as i was not sure of that person's credibility with cars/motors. Anyone here heard of doing this or even does it? Your thoughts are always greatly appreciated and I thank you in advance.

ES :flag:

I was told by someone recently that putting a magnet on your oil pan is good thing to do because it holds all the metal shavings at the bottom. when you go to change your oil just take it off so that the metal chippings can flow out with the old oil. Haven't tried it yet as i was not sure of that person's credibility with cars/motors. Anyone here heard of doing this or even does it? Your thoughts are always greatly appreciated and I thank you in advance.

ES :flag:

Well, the oil pan of the SS is Aluminum, so it wouldn't work... But as stated the drain plug (if stcok ) has a magnet....

I like putting magnets on my oil filter, so that if there is any shavings it wil not flow back into the engine. Also if your curious you can cut open the filter At the top by where it threads on to the stud ( kind of like a canopener would do) pull the case off and the metal will be stuck to where the Mag is....

Just an IDEA.

Magnatech make transmission pans and diff coves which are magnetic

Transmission and Diff covers

and Filter mag make magnets for the oil filters

Oil Filter magnets

hope this helps

eamonn

Edited by eamonnschevy (see edit history)

... I like putting magnets on my oil filter...
:withstupid: If you are going to use a magnet for engine oil this is the way to go :thumbs:

Mr. P.

:withstupid: If you're gonna use a magnet, in addition to the magnetic tip that is already on the drain plug, ... put it on the filter.