Does my 408 sound OK to you

dounome

if it has hyd lifters it shouldnt have that bad a valve train sound. But if your running solid lifters it will make alot more noise in the valve train. and sometimes the alum being less dense will make it sound even worse. but id still have it checked to make sure the lifters are adjusted right . sounds really loose to me even if its a solid lift cam

That sure dosen't sound good...the solid lift cams I have installed aren't that loud when cold. I guess the oil pump O-ring didn't help. It kind of sucks that you can't run it with one of the valve covers off to check things out. With as much as you have went through I would be tempted to put a smaller cam in. Another idea is to install a couple of those low tension valve clearence checking springs. Do that on a pair of valves to see what kind of clearence you have in the valvetrain. Did the guy you bought it from have any noise issues? I'm guessing it dosen't get any quieter as you rev it?

Dave

Yeah that valvetrain is noisy, more than it should be but it's not eating itself (that's the good news). More good news, it does not sound like any one valve (clattering), so I would agree with errant valvetrain geometry, also agree that pushrod length would be my first suspect.

Remove the valvecover and verify that the roller tip of the rocker arm is actually wearing a pattern centered on the valve stem, not off to one side (the upper/inward side). If you need to clean & cover the valvestem with ink, reassemble, and turn over the engine with the starter and you should see the rocker-tip wear area revealed.

I like your choice of cam though :D Get that valvetrain geometry squared away and then the tuned so it will idle at something less than 1000-rpm and you'll have a true head-turner :thumbs:

Mr. P.