tranny slippin'

i started noticing the other day that while city driving, my tranny is slipping alittle bit in the 30mph-35mph range. any thoughts? :confused:

I noticed yesterday in trafic at 10 mph's some slop in the tranz too, sound like the same thing you noticed

i havent noticed it at that speed but ill look for it on the way to work in the morning.

i started noticing the other day that while city driving, my tranny is slipping alittle bit in the 30mph-35mph range. any thoughts? :confused:

I noticed yesterday in trafic at 10 mph's some slop in the tranz too, sound like the same thing you noticed

i havent noticed it at that speed but ill look for it on the way to work in the morning.

Is it tranny or is it transfer case? (AWD only) ... I have a few buddies that have '03 Tahoes that have had their TxFer cases replaced for failure ... :banghead:

Get a shift kit $200 from Zippy and buy a TC since theyll be doing work on the tranny anyways and it will fix your slipage immediately and give you something more reliable while driving around.

that's what i was thinking about doing. i was going to do a shift kit at some point anyway so i guess this might speed things up. any idea how much a tranny shop charges for a shift kit/TC install? i noticed alot of guys are using TBTC's. any others? and how about an estimate on prices? i know i should hit the search button, but it's on my mind right now and i'm on my way out the door for training. thanks guys in advance!!

as far as the transfer case, that's also a possibility. it doesn't feel like it though. i also started to feel slippage in my Tahoe but that was more in the 50mph range. part of the reason i traded it in. it had more problems than that.

Get a shift kit $200 from Zippy and buy a TC since theyll be doing work on the tranny anyways and it will fix your slipage immediately and give you something more reliable while driving around.

that's what i was thinking about doing. i was going to do a shift kit at some point anyway so i guess this might speed things up. any idea how much a tranny shop charges for a shift kit/TC install? i noticed alot of guys are using TBTC's. any others? and how about an estimate on prices? i know i should hit the search button, but it's on my mind right now and i'm on my way out the door for training. thanks guys in advance!!

as far as the transfer case, that's also a possibility. it doesn't feel like it though. i also started to feel slippage in my Tahoe but that was more in the 50mph range. part of the reason i traded it in. it had more problems than that.

I think I paid $500 for the shift kit/TBTC install from a trans shop. Best mods for the money because you can really feel the difference.

are there any surefire ways to test for slippage? seems like mine is also slipping a little.

Sure is ... and it involves a scan tool.

Connect & check your TAP cells. (Transmission Adaptive Pressure).

TAP memory cells store the amount of line pressure the PCM is adding (or subtracting) during a particular shift. The value can be a + or - number.

The TAP cells should be numbered 4-16 for a shift event. (Ex. "1-2 TAP Cell 10") They are numbered this way to indicate the throttle condition when the PCM stores the adaptive. 4 = light throttle. 16 = heavy throttle.

Also look for "Steady State TAP" in the data list. This will show you exactly what gear the transmission is in when the problem occurs.

The scan tool is the most efficient way to check for this problem. :thumbs:

• 3 weeks later...

I just wanted to add some more information to this post ... it may be helpful to others ...

I started observing some noticable slippage on my 2-3 shift while driving around town, with very light throttle. My 1-2 was strong, as was the 3-4. And to make things weirder ... all shifts, including the 2-3 were strong during hard acceleration. :confused:

After I observed the 2-3 feeling a little sloppy, and seemingly long time for 2nd to actually engage ... I decided it was time to check the PCM to see what it was actually doing ...

Here's what I found ...

report.jpg

Take a look at 2-3 TAP Cell 4 ... 63.75 pounds of line pressure being added during the shift event. DAMN! :eek::ughdance:

Yet, the heavy throttle 2-3 shifts are fine ... (cells 10-16).

Seeing that didn't make me feel too good ... and I just had the tranny flushed at 50K. There's 63 on it now. No typical evidence of anything going wrong. Fluid is a healthy pink-reddish color. No burnt smell.

I'm gonna reset these adaptives and see if 2-3 @ light throttle is still a complaint maker.

My extended warranty just ran out a few hundred miles ago ... I think I'm gonna swing by the dealer and get another extension ... then take the truck in for tranny slippage ... :devil:

:seeya:

any other way to test for slipping, without a scan tool? sometimes the truck feels sloppy and sometimes it drives perfectly fine.

I dunno. :dunno:

Mr. P?

After what I just went through - hell I dunno. My tranny shifted great and when we tore it apart last week the clutches were trashed, some disintegrated, some black, some of the steels were blued and others were warped - I was totally shocked to see it because the trans still shifted nice and hard. So I have to think that driving impression alone will not tell you what is going on inside the tranny. But if you can actually feel slippage you better get a professional to evaluate it. I will have to agree with perk, a scan tool is really needed so you can see both the amount of time it takes to complete a shift event as well as the line pressure. In fact I am now seeing the light here, if you are serious about your truck you should really own good scanner/logging application, you're just guessing without it.

Mr. P.