Never Ending Tranny problem

This was for a customer that we have installed a bunch of goods on, We did a tranny kit with all the other bolt on performance that we installed and now we are having problems with the trans. If you beat the truck none stop it runs flawless, the minute you start babyin the truck EX: going up a hill giong 30-35 mph and hold the throttle at a constant position and try and get up the hill it will try and grab third gear it will throw a 757 code and then the truck is locked into third gear until the code is cleared. I can get the truck to do this almost everytime going up a hill. The code that is thrown stats it needs a shift selenoid B stuck on. We have changed the selenoid twice now and still the same thing. We just recently dropped the tranny back out and looked everything over and found the 3-4 clutch packs where glazed and burnt. We installed new parts and tried agian. Ran flawless for about 200 miles now doing the same thing again. Our heads are spinning trying to figure this out. We have talked to all that are involved and none seem to know what the problem is. This is the list of goods we installed.

2003 silverado SS

vortech charger

Bassani headers and full Exhaust

FastChip custom software wrote for this particular truck

Zippy Performance shift kit

Midwest TRQ convertor with a 2600 stall

I am thinking it is either the Stall in the convertor or something in the trucks softwear programming but everybody I talk to says no... When you are going up the hill and you can almost anticipate the truck to try and grab third gear if you quickly crack the throttle it will not throw the code and run flawless....

Any info would be greatly appreciated Thanks

Chad

I agree...sounds like a tuning issue. If the throttle is open more then line pressure goes up. Also that torque management makes wierd stuff happen.

Dave

Thats what we are thinking as well but when we call Ed Wright from Fast chip do the tunning he says that the tune he installed would not recognize that trq convertor stall setup....

that should not matter. the tune is not right. if the wiring is all good between the trans and the computer, then the programming is set wront. the dtc setting conditions probably need to be changed. If you put is a stall converter and leave the tranny programming to stock, then you shouldn't have any problems. with the vortec programming, they probably changed some of the tranny functions. Do you have any programs for reading the tune. I could go over it and see if i notice anything that might be doing that. let me know.

that should not matter. the tune is not right. if the wiring is all good between the trans and the computer, then the programming is set wront. the dtc setting conditions probably need to be changed. If you put is a stall converter and leave the tranny programming to stock, then you shouldn't have any problems. with the vortec programming, they probably changed some of the tranny functions. Do you have any programs for reading the tune. I could go over it and see if i notice anything that might be doing that. let me know.

I dont have any soft wear in the lines of efilive or that sort if thats what you are looking for...

the easiest way i can think of to try to figure out if its a tranny problem or a tune problem is ask Ed Wright to set the Tranny settings back to completly 100% stock then see what happens. having a shift kit and tq converter you should have no problems running on a stock tune.

i had the exact same problem for a long time we just recently fixed it( after changing out the solenoid 2 times) . i have a 2800 stall and vortech and it only did it at light throttle going up hills, i beleive it is from the torque converter slipping to much . what we did to fix it is we turned the slip down on the torque converter. so it now slips alot less. what it was doing was not having as enoguh pressure and lettign the clutches slip and this will set the code because stock it wont normally see this much slipping. i attached a picture of what i changed the tcc max vs minumum table you can see where it is .i hope this helps

tcc.jpg

I dont have any soft wear in the lines of efilive or that sort if thats what you are looking for...

HP tuners, EFI live or tuner cat. similar to the post chase made. that is what i was going to look for. realize there is no converter speed sensor so the computer only knows what it's told to know. in the case of the tuner, this would be his responsibilty. If you want, i could do it straight from the computer but you would have to ship it to me. honestly, if you don't have access to any of these programs, it may just be easier to talk to the origional tuner.

• 2 weeks later...
I got a call into Ed and we will see what happens thanks for all the inforamtion much appreciated.

I will keep you guys posted

Thanks Again

Chad

After many long conversations with the tune writer found that the trq management files where not turned off. Pulled the ECU and sent it back in for re programing and now that it is re installed it seems to be what the problem was the whole time. Keepin the fingers crossed!!!

Thanks Again for all the valuable information much appreciated

Chad

i had the exact same problem for a long time we just recently fixed it( after changing out the solenoid 2 times) . i have a 2800 stall and vortech and it only did it at light throttle going up hills, i beleive it is from the torque converter slipping to much . what we did to fix it is we turned the slip down on the torque converter. so it now slips alot less. what it was doing was not having as enoguh pressure and lettign the clutches slip and this will set the code because stock it wont normally see this much slipping. i attached a picture of what i changed the tcc max vs minumum table you can see where it is .i hope this helps

I believe I've got the same problem, an it would make sense as we have the same converter. Just today it threw another P0757 code, and it happend while pulling a gentle grade at light throttle and the trans gently kicked down from 3rd to 2nd and the instant the shift occured I had the SES light. I can understand that you adjusted/increased line pressure, but my question now is have I been damaging my bands/clutches all this time? Or is this just a "nuisance code"?

It also makes sense why I've only seen this issue 3 times in the last several years, normally I've got my foot in the throttle so far that the line pressure is certainly raised, and this is only happening under very light load (hence lower line pressure and converter is allowed to slip) - am I understanding this right?

Mr. P.

Edited by misterp (see edit history)

I would also check your lock-up tables and make sure they make sense. It is very easy to have the converter lock and unlock almost simultaneously at a given TPS causing all kinds of slipping and such. Check that the TCC apply is about 2 mph higher than the upshift speed and the TCC release speed 2 mph higher than the downshift speed. I have had those not right before and it wasn't good.

I would also check your lock-up tables and make sure they make sense. It is very easy to have the converter lock and unlock almost simultaneously at a given TPS causing all kinds of slipping and such. Check that the TCC apply is about 2 mph higher than the upshift speed and the TCC release speed 2 mph higher than the downshift speed. I have had those not right before and it wasn't good.

Thanks for the hint, I'll look at that.