KR on stock engine

xistent

The only mod I have is mufflers. I am seeing between 2 and 5 degrees of KR on my scan gauge. This happens from rolling to WOT, It is also random. Is that normal? I'm running California 91 gas.

It is if you are using less than premium fuel. Also, you could have false knock to. It has been proven that the knock sensors in our trucks are very sensitive and I read something about how the knock sensor location is prone to moisture/water pooling up where it is mounted and damaging it. If you have a warranty, you might want to have it checked out.

Are you getting KR when you punch it from a roll or from a dead stop? When you punch it from a roll the computer pulls timing to limit the torque output of the engine (torque management). If you are getting it from a dead stop I'd be more worried. Carbon build up can raise your engine's compression and cause detonation...sea foam or GM top engine cleaner will fix that though.

Dave

Are you getting KR when you punch it from a roll or from a dead stop? When you punch it from a roll the computer pulls timing to limit the torque output of the engine (torque management). If you are getting it from a dead stop I'd be more worried. Carbon build up can raise your engine's compression and cause detonation...sea foam or GM top engine cleaner will fix that though.

Dave

It happens when I punch it from a roll, I'll have to check to see if it does it from a dead stop. Do you think I would need sea foam after 10k miles?

I doubt youhave carbon after 10k miles. On your scan gauge watch timing advance and KR. See how much advance you have when it pulls timing. You may just be punching it when the timing is way advanced and that's where your KR is coming from. Maybe you got a bad tank of gas or how old is the gas in the truck? I feel for you guys that can only get 91 we get 93 and Sunoco has 94.

Dave