Rolled the SS

Dirt.boy

Driving out of town the day after Thanksgiving I rolled the SS. I didn't see the that the guy in front of me was taking a left hand turn. As I made the decision to go around to his left he started his turn. I cut it as close as I could but I still had to put two wheels in the ditch. I barely nicked his front bumper but never really made it up out of the ditch. Ended up rolling several times (at least 2.5 my wife says 5.5) down the asphalt at 70 MPH. Slid to a stop 150 yards or so later on the roof of the cab.

We are recovering but all told we where extremely lucky. My wife and daughter were in the back seat unbuckled. The last thing before the accident my daughter remembers is my wife grabbing and holding her during the rolls. She also vividly remembers angels holding her inside the truck so she didn't fly out the window ( I still get goosebumps everytime I tell that to someone). My daughter was bruised and shaken but not admittted to the hospital and has fully recovered. My wifes foot and leg were out of the rear window for at least one of the rolls. The tar ground off part of her big toe and one third of the bone on the first joint of the same toe. It took two surgeries to clean it out and sew everything back together. She is back to work now which is saying allot because she walks for a living teaching blind people how to use the cane and Minneapolis bus system. I broke a rib when I hit the armrest on the drivers door but am pretty much back to "normal".

It was a life changing/defining moment. Our family has grown closer together through it all. Everyone has been wonderful, from the people at the scene to the first responders, doctors etc. Even all of our friends who kept us fed for weeks and weeks and came to our house to help with recovery.

It all happens so quickly, in the blink of an eye. One second I was tooling down the road thinking I was the shit in my blue SS, the next second I'm hanging upside down and my truck has given its life for ours.

Next time you think your the shit and it won't happen to you think again.

Greg

PS. Insurance totaled the truck. I just bought an 3/4 ton '03 suburban with the 8.1l. Plenty of torque but wow the 4L80 first gear doesn't have the snap of the 65!! The larger truck should pull our camper trailer a little easier and I think we will use the extra row of seats more than the pick-up bed as well.

post-6810-1169915742_thumb.jpg post-6810-1169915777_thumb.jpg

The cab roof was crushed all the way doewn to the passenger headrest, the only seat that no one was in....

post-6810-1169915817_thumb.jpg post-6810-1169915934_thumb.jpg

We slid with the driver side leading. We rolled once in the ditch then on the next roll the rear wheel caught the asphalt snapped the axleand launched us. Probably did a roll or more in the air before landing on the roof.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

wow sorry to hear about your accident, but good to hear you all survived without to many injuries, someone was definitely looking after you, that and being in a strong Chevy truck eh. it could have so easily been a lot worse especially looking at the truck.. hope you enjoy your new truck

stay safe

all the best

eamonn

You know...wow...is all I can say. Glad to hear that the family is recovering well. I am also glad to see that the Silverado held up like that in a roll over...actually, I'm really impressed. If that had been even a family sedan, I think it would have been a different story. A friend of mine rolled his Nissan Xterra at 70mph on I75 when it was completely dry out. Similar thing, thought he was good to go in the left lane and someone in the middle lane did a lane change in front of him clipping his front bumper and sending him sideways, well when sideways in an SUV, its only a matter of time before it catches a crack and flips...He walked away as well and swears he will never buy anything but a Xterra again because he firmly believes it saved his life. I'm sure you feel the same way about GM trucks/suv's now.

Wow ... what a ride aye? That is a very scary situation .... looking at your pictures reminds me of when my wife had a similar experience in my 2003 Z71. She was on the interestate and hit some black ice, 360'd on the road and then did a bunch of rolls down the side of the hilltop and came to a stop on the drivers side, engine still running. I'm so glad everyone in your fam walked away. That is such a life changing moment. Just be thankful you were in a solid full sized pickup and every is safe. Your ladies are very very lucky to only be hurt that much, considering the carnage the truck received and not being strapped in. I can only image how proud of your wife you are, that is amazing that she was able to hold your little one that safely throughout the wreck. Speedy recovery to each of yours.

Mine

7.jpg

Yours

post-6810-1169915742.jpg

Mine

8.jpg

Yours

post-6810-1169915817.jpg

Edited by Big O (see edit history)

First - Dirt.Boy, damn that looked like one hell of an episode, I can't even imagine... Thank goodness your daughter was unharmed, very sorry to hear about yours and your wife's injuries. I can only imagine how it could have turned out much, much worse.

Second - Big O, those side-by-side truck pics are like freaking me out dude; they're almost identical!

Mr. P.

WOW! :eek: Powerful story, and startling pictures that followed.

There's so much detail in the story ... had me :tear: a few times ... esp. the part about your daughter seeing angels ...

It's amazing how self-sacrificial our SS's are. And how we, as owners form that bond with them. It was heartbreaking hearing you speak of your SS so personally ... "One second I was tooling down the road thinking I was the shit in my blue SS, the next second I'm hanging upside down and my truck has given its life for ours."

You do indeed have something to be very thankful for ...

I know I do ... :flag: