Tune Or Programmmer

diggerdan11

i just recently purchased my 05 SS a couple of months ago and i would like to do a few performance modifications, just a few. I cant decide if i want to get a professional tune done or should i just get a handheld programmer.

Ive done some research and it seems like a tune is kind of a pain in the ass, because you cant go back to stock settings if you like.

What would you guys suggest i do? Would it be smarter to do other mods first like headers or intake?

I also plan in about a year to get a Whipple supercharger and when i get it i will have them tune my truck

So what should you suggest i do to get a little more power before i get the charger?

Thats your call man.

The general concensus here is that a custom tune gives you more bang for your buck. A custom tune will probably cost you more than a hand held.

I bought a Hypertech Power Programmer III and I am happy with it. I felt a difference on the first drive. I also like the fact that you can return to the stock program at the touch of a button.

Good luck with your decision.

:chevy:

Thats your call man.

The general concensus here is that a custom tune gives you more bang for your buck. A custom tune will probably cost you more than a hand held.

I bought a Hypertech Power Programmer III and I am happy with it. I felt a difference on the first drive. I also like the fact that you can return to the stock program at the touch of a button.

Good luck with your decision.

:chevy:

Price just depends on who you use. Overall they are priced about the same if not cheaper and I also had a Hypertech programmer and now I have a PCM4Less tune and definatley can tell a difference in the custom tune over the programmer tune. With them it was under $400 but the only reason it was that high was because I kept my stock PCM for future tunes. I think its like 250 if you return your PCM to them.

man i dont even know why you would even think about a programmer. the 160 stat would be wise to do first as you could turn the fans to turn on at lower temps and have your running temps (coolant ) lower whcih in the end = more timing= mor epower. hedaers also would help you breathe better but i would also do an intake and exhaust to help out.

I already have a flowmaster exhaust, and a intake on the way, just have to order it . I probebly should do a 160 t-stat then next huh? They seem like they are not to difficult to to instal. I im not very mechanicaly inclinded and i have very little time, but it seems like i can do the t-stat by myself

t-stat and intake (CAI i assume) should be easy... the rest... well... if you're not mechanically inclined.. i'd definitely take it to your local muffler shop. (for the exhaust). Just stick around and make sure they don't charge you for them being on a lunch break!

• 2 months later...
t-stat and intake (CAI i assume) should be easy... the rest... well... if you're not mechanically inclined.. i'd definitely take it to your local muffler shop. (for the exhaust). Just stick around and make sure they don't charge you for them being on a lunch break!

yeah ive had that probelm before with mechanics........lazy

so if i was to get a tune how do i know what specifications i need, when i went to the PCM for less site they asked all these questions like:

Duration @ .05

Lift

I dont know what to do here i dont know enuf about my truck or the engine to know that to do